February Monthly Challenge - "Holes"

Discussion in 'Official Photo Contests and Events' started by johnsey, Feb 1, 2021.

1. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have to admit that I have spent way too much time trying to work this one out. I have thought about shapes of the holes, the materials, the numbers. I have wondered if you are telling a story from the images. Then I think that each picture links to the next, and then I find an problem with that. Then I was wondering if the images have a link to a book, or film.

Yeah I know, I'll go and grab my dunce hat and go and stand in the corner.........................................again.

Gary

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    you are sooooo close, some are much less obvious than others, if you think you have seen something you probably have, some are blatantly obvious

3. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I am guessing that we are supposed to notice that you have taken an image for every day of the month.

4. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    yes thats a given, i think Gary has seen it but not quite explored it fully :)
    there are a couple of images that are deliberately obvious,

5. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    holes27.jpg

maybe something Gary was expecting to see?
    one more to go

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I think you are telling a story about wanting to go out, travel and party on but are restricted in your movements and stuck at home a far bit, due to the Beer Virus, if that is not it then I will have to sit next to Gary in his corner.

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Come on over Craig. Your more than welcome. It's not the first time I have been here.

Well, errr, no. The more I think about it as time runs out, the more off course I feel that I am going with the answer. I was going to say colours is the link. I even showed this thread to Mrs GDN, and she was suggesting a book series, titles of films.

Maybe your last image is what I expected to see. My line of thinking going down the drain. But what ever the link is, well done as it has kept me thinking on this one, even though I have failed.

One positive thing that I can say is that my bottle of rum has more rum in it than yours! That image I was thinking of the "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Gary

8. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    holes28.jpg
    Hole number 28!!

Thats where you are soo close

Craig also mentioned something that i was expecting someone to mention and that was composition, clearly for a single subject image alot of my images for this month must have left you thinking "you could have done that better"
    maybe its because there is more than one subject in each picture..........except the first, because i hadn't thought of it until the second picture, and that would still work in picture 1 anyway.
    the plot thickens.............................. ladysherlock.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Caladina, I know this sounds a little weird but I was thinking that a little bit of lipstick on the cat's bottom might have been nice, sort of like smiley lips just a thought,

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    i love my kitty, i love my lipstick, i'm not kissing my cats arse :eek:

11. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    for next months subject i thought how about asking our partners for a suggestion, Ruth said how about another colour as you did green a while back, then she said Books / Paper

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Yuck!!!

13. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    ok, hour to go here so i'll reveal the little twist, (edit, it took an hour to do the list,)
    the subject of the days image was present in the next image in every day except the 1st day.
    some were obvious, some not so obvious.
    below is the "spoiler" list of what and where, or you can go and check first to see how many you can spot
    Day 1, subject: a cheese grater, submissive: none.
    Day 2, subject: pair of sandals, submissive: cheese grater, right hand side under the egg cartoon.
    Day 3, subject: Tree with holes, submissive: my girlfriend on the bench in the background was wearing the sandals.
    Day 4, subject: Parasol, submissive: the tree with holes in background.
    Day 5, subject: car wheel, submissive: parasol closed and leaning on the ladder to the left of the wheel.
    Day 6, subject: circuit board, submissive: the shadow cast by the round component on the circuit board was replaced by a shadow cast by the road wheel. (this took a lot more work in both lighting the wheel, adapting the shadow and adding in to the image)
    Day 7, subject: interior of washing machine, submissive: the circuit board was placed inside the drum out of shot, the drum was lit so you can see the reflections of the circuit board in the steel of the drum.
    Day 8, subject: washing basket, submissive: washing machine in background with the light still illuminating the drum.
    Day 9, subject: wearing red fishnet stockings, submissive: washing basket in the background.
    Day 10, subject: cd with post editing effects, submissive: the stockings bundled up formed the red section of the background, they got quite blurred out but hey, couldn't give you easy ones all the way or you might have guessed early.
    Day 11, subject: copper tubes submissive: cd standing on end, background center, another that took a while to light for the cd.
    Day 12, subject: street corner protector, submissive: copper pipe placed to the left of subject, (another freezing cold day)
    Day 13, subject: mini digger making a hole, submissive: same location as previous with same street protector in background.
    Day 14, subject: 135 Jupiter lens, submissive: image of the digger edited into the picture frame bottom right. (crafty one this)
    Day 15, subject: tea bag, submissive: on the spice rack i placed two Jupiter lenses next to the salt and pepper grinders and put an "S" and "P" on them to further disguise them. (yes i have two identical lenses)
    Day 16, subject: leaves with holes, submissive: used tea bag place on the ground among the mulch/barkwood.
    Day 17, subject: piece of slotted angle iron, submissive: cutting of leaves from the previous subject behind the window to the right.
    Day 18, subject: chrome chain, submissive: slotted angle iron horizontal to the left on wood behind ladder
    Day 19, subject: Cored apple, submissive: chain now placed around the frame of the picture in the background left
    Day 20, subject: drinks can, submissive: apples in the fruit bowl to the lower left, little over bokehed tbh.
    Day 21, subject: view through a drinks bottle looking out the top, submissive: same drinks can to the left of the hole in the haze of the plastic bottle sides.
    Day 22, subject: waste paper basket, submissive: coke bottle behind the Jack Daniels bottle at left
    Day 23, subject: lit up glass bowl with mesh top, submissive: rim of the waste paper basket to the right
    Day 24, subject: Halloween cat and pumpkin, submissive: glass bowl now behind cats head
    Day 25, subject: Kraken bottle, submissive: the cat and pumpkin were edited as a mirrored pair and place on the bottle's label to the right.
    Day 26, subject: glitter butterfly, submissive: kraken bottle in background
    Day 27, subject: sink overflow , submissive: shadow of the butterfly cast on sink around the overflow
    Day 28, subject: an asshole, submissive: overflow in background

this explains the mad compositions that wouldn't have made a great deal of sense normally, they were infact carefully composed, most of the time when it wasn't stupid o clock in the morning and i was thinking how the heck can i make this one work.

14. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    :eek:

A little bit! I might go and stand in another corner.

Gary

15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Sorry, I was having a nana nap in Gary's corner and missed some of that, still it was good to see someone having a go at something a little more complex on the forum. keep it up Caladina.