Fireworks SX70 HS - no rehearsal opportunity!

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Matthew J T Caminer, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Matthew J T Caminer

Matthew J T Caminer New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX70- HS
    We have a big firework display over Windsor Castle tomorrow to mark the Queen's Jubilee. I'll be three miles away across open country and have taken many excellent pictures of the castle using the zoom lens on the SX70 HS, three night-time examples attached at three different Zoom settings. However, fireworks are a different matter!

I will of course use tripod and remote shutter release

But, as a beginner, do I simply use the SCN/Fireworks setting and hope for the best, and put up with the long gap (and lost opportunities!) between photos, or would you recommend different settings, perhaps using something within P, T View attachment 14843 View attachment 14844 View attachment 14845 v or Av? Single shots or bursts? Whatever it takes to get the best pictures first time, because...

I have no opportunity to rehearse! The display will be over in minutes!

And would you recommend full poptical zoom or longer distance and cropping/enlarging on the computer afterwards?

I have tried taking pictures of fireworks on YouTube on my largescreen TV but I have a feeling that that doesn't really transfer to real life anyway..

All suggestions gratefully welcomed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE please!!!

IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3402.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i would have thought shooting in manual mode the same way you do lightening.
    put the camera in bulb mode and do a 2-4 second exposure, there is a cool effect where you can defocus with manual focusing half way through to make the fireworks look like petals
    i use the canon M50 and therefore not familiar with your camera but its the best i ca offer in way of help
    there are alot of youtube vids on taking fire work images

3. Matthew J T Caminer

Equipment:
    Canon SX70- HS
    Thanks for that @Caladina . Sadly the SX70 HS doesn't have a Bulb mode, which is a shame. The camera does have a fireworks pre-set which uses a low ISO and 2 second exposure, which I guess would replicate what you are talking about to an extent

4. Matthew J T Caminer

Equipment:
    Canon SX70- HS
    Also, @Caladina , I very much like your idea of the petals effect etc, though in this case I am looking for more of a reportage mode, with the silhouette of Windsor Castle emerging through the smoke below

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    whats the video frame quality like, could you use a frame from that?
    maybe its time to pick up a camera with full manual ability and changeable lens

Edit , i have just been looking at the camera, its got an M for manual mode on it, this should allow you to adjust everything how you want it

have you used the camera in manual mode before?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022