First run with a film camera

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by LongHairedDavid, Jan 15, 2022.

1. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90D, 18-55 Canon Zoom, Canon EOS650 + 35-80 Power Zoom
    It must be twenty years since I last took a photo using a film camera - my old Canon 650. It must be forty odd years since I did any developing. So, what caused me to get back into it, especially as I have a nice new Canon 90d (almost wishing that I had bought a mirrorless camera but...)?

I suppose that it was a feeling that I wanted to not only enjoy my digital photography but to also get back to feeling that each photo is special. I loaded the camera with a 24 shot roll of HP5 Plus and off I went across the Ipswich Waterfront. It was extremely cold and misty but I thought that the mist would help. I studiously recorded each camera setting on my phone so that, when `I scan them in, I can fill in the EXIF.

This is what it was like out there (taken on my phone!).

I took 8 photos and now I have the very 2022 unlike wait until I finish the roll. I have a Paterson developer set coming so I can develop the film but I am not going to go down the enlarger route as that will fail due to the upheaval needed for a darkroom. Something that was easy in the evenings when 28 years old is much harder at 76! I am getting a 22mp neg scanner so the results will be in sometime soon.

Attached Files:

2. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    I have started a blog to cover my photo activity so go and have a look at http://www.lhdavidphotoblog.co.uk

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Looks like you got a good start. Are you planing to have a site for images and a a blogger site for posts? You could probably roll it into one location and have the urls both direct to the same hosting. Just a thought

4. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Early days. I am busy scanning old negs at the moment. My 90D has been off to the repairers but it seems that the SD I bought was a fraud and was causing the shutter errors because of its speed. Oh well. Once that comes back, I will be out and about with both digital and film so will then review the web site.
    Thanks for your interest.
    David

5. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Well, I have finally completed the film and have scanned the negatives using my Canon 900F Mk. II flat bed scanner. This can scan at up to 4800 but it takes for ever so, as a first pass I am scanning them all at 1200, especially as they are only going to be displayed on a screen. Here is one of them - the building is on the Ipswich waterfro0nt and, because it stood as a shell for years, is called The Winerack.

Attached Files: