Grey/bluish Haze in shots taken with telephoto lens 300mm (35efl 480mm)

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by I.C. Papachristos MD, Jan 14, 2019.

1. I.C. Papachristos MD

I.C. Papachristos MD New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Eos M50
    Canon Eos 300
    Canon AL-1
    I thought of putting my older Canon EF-S 70-300 zoom lens in good use, by attaching it to my brand new mirrorless EOS M50 (with the Canon adapter EF-S / EF-M). So, the new maximal focal length is equivalent to 1.6 × 300 = 480mm for this APS-C sensor.

When I shot some pictures from farest away on a sunny (yet, coldest) winter day in January, I got disappointed by a (very putting-off) greyish / bluish haze on all photographs (despite the good use of a proper tripod & blutooth-remote shutter release).

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnGanyEvuVcOgp0lIMCOspVag3cd5A

Should I try modify the “color balance” or “white balance” or “midtone channel saturation” or “blue-channel saturation” values on Photoshop elements?!

Or should I convert the shot into black and white?!

Does one think there’s something wrong with the lens itself?! Portraits (shot by using this lens indoors at 4-5 m distance) came up alright.

Any other solution / advice?!

Thank you in advance for helping!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    There isn't an issue with your lens, the haze is caused by moisture in the air, which is why it is blue. How cold was it? Cold should reduce haze. It does look like it was rather sunny, mid day? Shooting on a cool morning will help, shooting when its overcast will definitely help because the sun light is making the haze visible. UV filters remove some haze, I would suggest getting a high quality circular polarizer as that will likely be more effective. I say high quality because cheap filters will reduce sharpness and can add color shifts to images.

You can try touching up the haze in Photoshop/LR or the like by tweaking white balance or tonal sliders to warm up the photo, it won't remove it but it may soften it.

I.C. Papachristos MD likes this.
  3. I.C. Papachristos MD

I.C. Papachristos MD New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Eos M50
    Canon Eos 300
    Canon AL-1
    Thank you very much!

Yes, it was sunny and that made me hope that far-distance shooting might be successful, or so I thought. Yes, it was around noon time. The temperature was 3 – 3.5℃ that is considered as “very cold” over here (a week ago we had 4 consecutive snow storms with blizzards and -9℃ frost thst is a cool as it can get locally).

Many thanks once again from Thessaloniki, Greece.