Hello from Athens Greece

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Hurricanes4life, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Hurricanes4life

Hurricanes4life New Member

Equipment:
    Eos 2000D
    Hi guys,
    I'm a complete beginner. I am hoping to get some advice on a good beginner camera.
    Thanks in advance.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forums!

Do you have the 2000D you listed as equipment? Getting an entry level kit is a good idea if your a beginner, you can always add gear from there.

3. Hurricanes4life

Equipment:
    Eos 2000D
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have to be honest I don't actually own the 2000D but I did some research and if Im not mistaken this is a good beginner camera.
    Also I was looking at a Powershot sx420 which I have found on sale for an extremely low price. I would appreciate your advice on the powershot if it's something I should look at.
    Thanks in advance.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The powershot is a fancy point and shoot, your rebel (2000d) will allow you different lenses and external flash. There would be more to learn from the rebel.

5. Hurricanes4life

Equipment:
    Eos 2000D
    Yes I see what you mean, point taken my friend. I have much to digest thank you for your expertise advice.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    My two cents worth.

I would recommend the dslr. If you do want to develop this interest, you are going to be limited with the Powershot. Yes, the Powershot shot will be easier to use when you are starting out. But you are going to be buying another camera in time if you like the hobby and you want try newer things.

If you do decide to go down the dslr path, yell out if you get stuck. Someone will point you in the right direction with advice.

Gary

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome, Hurricanes4life, just to throw my hat in the ring. With a point and shoot you will find that you will be restricted by it's one focal length. Your mobil phone has similar qualities for photography, when it comes to various photographic types the landscape shots need a wide lens to capture the whole scene here a 28mm would be better. street shots may be OK depending on the camera's focal length of the lens. wildlife images where a much longer lens is needed such as 300mm to 600 mm. The powershot point and shoot is something your Grandparents would use at a family picnic. A good starting lens would be 28 to 80mm or better known as a kit lens. and add more lenses as money and need allow. Check out Youtube for more ideas as there are many good videos how to there an any specific problems put them up for the community on this forum for any help you may need.

8. Hurricanes4life

Equipment:
    Eos 2000D
    Thank you guys for sharing your expertise and knowledge with me. One other factor I have to consider is the price range , I have checked a few retailers in my area there are a couple that are in my price range that is affordable for myself. The m100, 800D, 2000D.

Thanks again for all the advice.

9. johnsey

Equipment:
    The m100 I would omit from your options, I have no issue with mirror-less, but they tested the water with the m series cameras and the m100 is from the beginner line of that mirror-less series, which is dying.
    • Canon is definitely focused on the R series of full frame mirrorless going forward. I expect the m cameras to become cheaper and the handfull of the m lenses easy to find good deals on, you could grab a m6 or m50 later if you like the small form factor of them Or upgrade to the full frame mirror-less in a few years after becoming well versed in your DSLR.
    The 800 is a year older being a 2017 model than your 2000d but it is definitely a more well rounded feature set for a entry level DSLR. I would select that one all things being equal personally. Here is a simple page comparing features so you get the idea.
    https://cameracreativ.com/compare/canon-eos-2000d-vs-canon-eos-800d

10. JRS950

JRS950 Member

Equipment:
    EOS Rebel T6S
    EF-S 18-135; EF-S 55-250; EF 50mm 1.8,
    Speedlite 470EX-AI
    Welcome to the community. Good luck with your search. Lots of good information here fron some very knowledgeable people.
    Again, Welcome!

11. Hurricanes4life

Equipment:
    Eos 2000D
    I have one more question to ask, if I was to buy a second hand camera what are the things I should look out for when purchasing used camera?
    Thanks in advance.

12. johnsey

Equipment:
    Well if your buying from a reputable shop they may have a return period (example KEH camera has 3 weeks) where you can test it thoroughly, If you buying in person I would bring a memory card and take test shots and make sure it doesn't have any noticeable problems. But a good shop should test the gear to be sure exactly what condition the product is in.

For used purchases online, if your venturing off into the land of ebay, you really have to look at the reviews of the seller and take them at their word. If they are new and have little or no reviews that really increases the risk. Using paypal add protection to reverse the transaction if you don't get what you ordered.
    I have bought used film cameras from ebay and from users of photography forums. If i am buying sight unseen from a market like ebay, i look to see how well the seller shows the product minimal or no images are red flag of course that they are hiding something physical. Inspecting it as much as you can from photos is really all you have. Otherwise honestly I look to see how well used the item is, if the item looks very well taken care of it is probably a good working item. And you can surely ask them questions like when they used it last and how it worked then, how long they had it, etc... I like to buy from people who actually owned and used the item, not those flipping for quick profit (they may not know the item as well).