Help me buy a camera

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Vahedi, Aug 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Vahedi

Vahedi New Member

hi
    i want to buy camera to take picture of my product and share in my online store
    And for other photography such as nature and family.
    please help me . What camera model should I buy?
    thank you so much .!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    To be honest the camera you pick doesn't matter as much as you think. For nature and family you can get great shots with the camera on your phone. What matters is the looks you try to create and how you get them. Take nature shots, if you want to take a waterfall and make the water flow motion that creamy effect that shows the motion, you need to slow the shutter down and take a shot that may be a couple seconds long. That requires a ND filter to darken the scene that much. For family shots a nice fast portrait lens is standard 50 or 85mm 1.4 or 1.8 aperture that will give you a nice bokeh in the background and be about the right mm lens to crop the person.
    For your product shots what will help is using a lighting tent or creating the effect using do it yourself methods. I grabbed two videos quickly from youtube so you can see what I mean. In college my lighting class we used sheets, foam and studio strobes, now there are much more portable options.

A Light Tent
    A DYI option

In any event, you can use a decent P&S/Bridge camera and get a fair way there knowing how to control lighting. You can get into a mid range DSLR and be able to have wide angle lenses for nature, portrait lenses for people, a macro lens and speedlights that you can take off the camera shoe and create lighting for product shots. It really depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to get control over your options.
    This may be a bit much to take in but gives you an idea of the questions you want to ask your self and prioritize what you want from the camera.

Tonytee likes this.