Help with EOS3 power boost

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Ryan p Axemaker-O'Keefe, Dec 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ryan p Axemaker-O'Keefe

Ryan p Axemaker-O'Keefe New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS3 with pbE2 Drive
    Hello. I clearly don't know much about cameras at this point.

I was gifted an EOS 3 with w pb e2 drive. I went to put it all together and it seemed good, but when I turn my camera on it won't stop shooting. I have removed and reinstalled the batteries, unplugged it from the body and every time I turn the camera on it just keep going.
    Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'll preface with the fact that have not owned the 90's film bodies but lets see if we can trouble shoot this a bit.

When you say you unplugged it from the battery, does that mean you put the original hand grip on and left the power drive off and you still had rapid continuous shots? If so the issue is on the body not the power drive. Conversely, if the rapid shooting only happens with drive attached and camera works fine without the drive, then we know the issue is with the drive.

My concern here is that the shutter button itself is stuck, if you figure out which one it is (camera or grip) you may be able to work it loose and getting it operating normally, or it may be too far gone. You may have seen similar issues with for instance a button on a radio where you have to keep using it or it gets sticky and then is stuck in a pressed down mode.

Section 11/Page 85 in the manual is the single frame/continuous shooting page. I imaging that you must have continuous selected since it keeps firing. If single shot was selected I would hope that it would stop after the first shot and not shoot again until you can get the shutter button not stuck pressed down. Once again, I have not owned this exact camera but this is where I would look at investigating.

Helpful links:
    Your camera's manual: https://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_pdf/canon_eos_3.pdf

Its far more common with an older camera to seize up where it will not fire, and need to trouble shoot if its mechanical or electrical problem, here is a helpful video for the eos3 if you ever run into that issue.