Help with film issue

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by LongHairedDavid, Feb 15, 2022.

1. LongHairedDavid

LongHairedDavid Member

Equipment:
    Canon 90D, 18-55 Canon Zoom, Canon EOS650 + 35-80 Power Zoom
    Hi everyone. I went for a roll around the local park on Saturday. I took my EOS650 loaded with HP4 and left my 90D at home - so that I didn't get a set of duplicate photos. It was a cold day and the wheelchair just about managed the path down to the lake. I met a couple of other keen photographers - one with a 7D and 100-400 semi-pro lens. The other had an 80D (as I used to have). I have to admit that neither thought it was strange that I was using film so maybe I am not as much on my own as I thought. However, the 7D person thought that B&W was a bit limiting. I explained that developing colour negs was a lot more difficult than B&W - little did I know what was coming!

I got some nice shots at the lake - there was a heron and a cormorant around plus some Mandarin ducks. I missed my 55-250 as the 35 - 80 on the 650 wasn't long enough for the birds.

On developing the film I found a problem. When I hung the negatives up to dry, I could see that there was a problem. I was taken back to my early days with a Zenith SLR with no light meter - the film looked quite over exposed. What I need is some expert opinion here. When I developed the first film, I used the pre-pack Ilford chemicals that come in the Patterson equipment box but they are all (apart from the wetting agent) one shot packs. This time, I have bought some bottles of Ilford chemicals which I have had to sort out myself. So the big question is - did I get the processing wrong or was there something wrong with the settings on the camera - I admit to using the camera with gloves on and I might have put it in the wrong mode.

Anyway, here is one of the images both before and after photoshop. Although the after is "OK" is doesn't have that nice graduation of tones that one loves in a nice B&W shot.
    herondark.jpg heronok.jpg

Any help and comments would be welcome.
    David