Help with product photography

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Tango Alpha, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Tango Alpha

Tango Alpha New Member

Equipment:
    None currently
    I'm just getting back into photography and need to get a DSLR to take photos of my leather goods for my eventual website.
    I'm considering picking up a used Canon body from B&H Photo along with a prime lens in the 50mm range, maybe the EF 50/1.5 USM. There are dozens and dozens of older Canons available and I don't know where to begin.
    My last SLR was a 35mm film camera and I even had my own darkroom, so I am virtually ignorant of what's really necessary in digital photography.
    What is my cheapest option that still encompasses suitable technology for my uses? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well for a DSLR I would advise to be somewhat current, in other words don't buy something too many generations old. But that even comes with a grain of salt. An old 5dm2 will give you a ridiculous amount of camera even though it is 12 years old. It just lacks some of the performance of modern ones. So if you get a good price used it may be worth it. Do some research about the specs and timeline on these cameras, wikipedia can show you the whole timeline of eos dslr bodies if you look it up.
    I would suggest maybe something in the 16-20mp range, higher if you can afford it, but megapixels translate to how big you can print at a specific DPI so no need to chase the highest DPI number.

You want to get EF lenses for full function on any dslr canon. The -S will oly work on crop, and FDs as you may know were film lenses from the 80's generation.
    These is a Canon 50mm 1.4 EF with the ultrasonic motor. I have it, it is a great lens. You can buy new for 350, or used for 250. Honestly I would just get it new for the extra $100, rather than buying someone else's mileage on it. I would consider it a no-brainier upgrade from the 1.8 model which is about $100 and feels as cheap as it is, also it is noticeably soft wide open.

For product photos I think I would also maybe consider something like the 100mm Macro so you can get tight shots of product. Not sure what your plan for lighting is but you can go down that rabbit hole when you are ready. The older non L 100mm macro runs about $300 used it looks like.

3. Tango Alpha

Tango Alpha New Member

Equipment:
    None currently
    Thank you very much sir for your response.
    I'm considering a Rebel 5Ti paired with a 50mm 2.5 Macro lense. Do you think a larger lense would be better for taking photos of bags, holsters, and belts? I will also be taking photos of ladies with my purses and bags slung over their shoulders.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I hadn't researched the 2.5 Macro so I looked it up online.. Pulled this from a online review: The Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Lens is very slightly soft wide open, sharp at f/3.2 and very sharp after f/4-5.6. Color and contrast are very good. Full frame body users will see some vignetting wide open.

Looks like it not a full 1:1 macro, it should serve the purpose pretty well on a crop body if you go with the 50mm as it will have a narrower view than on full frame. If you were getting only one lens for the camera and wanted macro that would be a solid choice. You may find it mediocre if you upgrade to full frame someday though.
    For close up photos I prefer having a 1:1 macro and the longer lens of the 100 is nice as you can always step back a bit more. I have used a sigma 50mm macro and it worked well on larger subjects. Do you have the ability to try it out somewhere first?

5. shaun bokowski

shaun bokowski New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80d, EFS 10-18mm 4.5-5.6 IS, Olympus Om Lens 24mm f/2 , OM 50mm 1.8 zuiko
    Hi, ...have a Canon 80D - and was using a 10-18 mm 4.5 5.6 - its a ok lens - not the greatest, , had a om lens adapter which i bought by mistake for Canon eos, which i was going to use a micro 4/3 lens on a canon camera , but those lens are gone and the olympus camera too. But i see more often Canon does well with beter lens- better lens quality wise , which i see often .So, would a Olympus om lens 100m f/2 work as well? Just bought a om 50mm 1.8 , and 24 f/2 , they are sharp with good contrast - the 100m f2 ?? probably would work .Tested a Oly om 24/ f2 on Canon- have to manual focus and aperture manual too. They dont come out bad- photos, Film looking , the om zuiko are made for film cameras which i like the film look, Which 100mm canon are you taking about. See that the canon 100mm f/2 takes nice photos. Thank you. MY first day of posting,,

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. johnsey

Equipment:
    I was referring to the 100mm 2.8 macro which is a real nice lens, I have had mine for about 15 years. There is also an L version of the same but I do not have that, and don't see enough reason to upgrade after the fact. Both great lenses for their price.

7. shaun bokowski

shaun bokowski New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80d, EFS 10-18mm 4.5-5.6 IS, Olympus Om Lens 24mm f/2 , OM 50mm 1.8 zuiko
    Thanks! For the heck of it , just purchase a Canon 100mm F/2 USM EF Mount Lens {58} , im on a budget , and it wont hurt to have , never had a 100 mm yet.This lens is probably the lens i should of bought a long time ago for shooting products , for the zoom range.