Horizontal 1 pixel line through photos

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Chip Curle, May 8, 2018.

1. Chip Curle

Chip Curle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80 D
    I have an 80D and when I use my 70-200 f/2.8 USL every now and then I get this 1 pixel line about 1/3 down the photo. I will attach a photo later.

Has anyone had this happen? I don't know if my SD card is too slow. Is the lens bad? I don't know. Was just curious if anyone else has had this problem. It's only when using this lens. It happened first when photographing a lacrosse game and I had it shooting in raw/jpg and I thought that was the problem.

Then last night I used the lens and took photos in jpg mode only and it still did it. It's not every photo, just randomly does it.

If anyone has experienced this please let me know. I can't duplicate it as it's very random.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I have not had such an issue, but I can be pretty sure the lens isn't at fault if its a issue with a band of pixels on your image.
    You could swap the sd card to ensure there isn't a fault with it, but I doubt that is an issue as well.

My concern is that for a band of pixels to be showing it is either hardware or firmware. So #1 update your firmware for the camera if it is not up to date. #2 contact Canon if that does not resolve the issue as your sensor is likely starting to go faulty; hopefully its covered since this is not something that should happen to a few year old camera with normal use.