How to display a timestamp on XA40 video

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by AndrewESL, Jan 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. AndrewESL

AndrewESL New Member

Equipment:
    XA40, XA10
    Hi all.
    The company I work for conducts ecological surveys and we video them using three XA40's. The footage is reviewed against a surveyors notes where they will have logged the time so ideally I want to be able to play the footage back (currently we use VLC) and have the time displayed on screen. I've been going round in circles trying to resolve this and I haven't found a solution. I can see that there are setting for a time code but I can't get it to display on the playback from and SD card.

At this point I'm not even sure it is possible, can anyone help?
    Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    By design a semi pro/pro camera is going to build time code into the file not display on video as the primary customer base is buying to not have timestamp on screen and do professional video editing. Not sure if anyone here knows of any hack around this. I'm a stills guy.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300034191/04/xa40-45-im4-n-en.pdf (page 69)

3. AndrewESL

AndrewESL New Member

Equipment:
    XA40, XA10
    Thanks for the response. I understand that most users would never want this feature but I've never come across a camera that doesn't have it.

For future reference is anyone stumbles across this thread looking for the solution I sort of figured it out. As per page 69 in the manual the initial timecode needs to be set as the current time and set to 'Freerun' (I'm intrigued what the separate setting for inputting the current date and time actually does!). I haven't figured out how to view the timecode in VLC yet but in DaVinci Resolve there is an option to view source timestamp. I hope that helps someone.