How to set the focuspont on a specific item ?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by EljoM, Sep 9, 2020.

1. EljoM

EljoM New Member

Equipment:
    Powershot SX620 HS
    I have this new camera and I have a hard time to focus on what I think is important in a shot. If I push on the focus button than It gives me the green squares in view. Sometimes 1 sometimes 5 but not on the item I want and need to focus.

I can't find a simple way to shoot and focus on the items I want. When I had the EOS 400D I just touched the screen and it focuses on that spot. This cam seems to focus on all that is not important it seems. But just on what has good lighting.

Powershot SX620 SH

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I found this that may be helpful. https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/ap...in-manual-focus-mode-(mf)-(powershot-sx60-hs)

The 620 is a Point and shoot and designed to focus automatically. This used to be just center point back in the film days but now the camera's are a bit smarter and tries to figure out the subject based on what is in the frame. I can say the algorithm does look for contrast which is needed for auto focus to function. It is the nature of the beast when you get a point and shoot to give up control on things. Even the consumer level dslrs do not have all the control of settings and customizing your shots.
    Manually select-able focus points will be on DSLRs, a touch screen focus selection will likely be on higher end p&s and bridge cameras.

3. EljoM

EljoM New Member

Equipment:
    Powershot SX620 HS
    Thanks for this link and I have again the same problem. My Menu has NO MF in the menu. ...!?

4. EljoM

EljoM New Member

Equipment:
    Powershot SX620 HS
    The SX620 HS has no AE mode, only Auto or P

P mode:
    you can customize various function settings to suit your preferred shooting style.
    Shooting in Various Conditions Shoot portraits [​IMG] Portrait Take shots of people with a softening effect.

Shoot evening scenes without using a tripod [​IMG] Handheld NightScene ・Beautiful shots of evening scenes or portraits with evening scenery in the background, without the need to hold the camera very still (as with a tripod).
    ・A single image is created by combining consecutive shots, reducing camera shake and image noise.

Shoot under low light [​IMG] Low Light Shoot with minimal camera and subject shake even in low-light conditions.

Shoot fireworks [​IMG] Fireworks Vivid shots of fireworks.

Applying Special Effects Shooting with a Fish-Eye Lens Effect [​IMG] Fisheye Effect Shoot with the distorting effect of a fish-eye lens.

Shots Resembling Miniature Models [​IMG] Miniature Effect Creates the effect of a miniature model, by blurring image areas above and below your selected area.

Shooting with a Toy Camera Effect [​IMG] Toy Camera Effect This effect makes images resemble shots from a toy camera by vignetting (darker, blurred image corners) and changing the overall color.

Shooting in Monochrome [​IMG] Monochrome Shoot images in black and white, sepia, or blue and white.

Shoot in vivid colors [​IMG] Super Vivid Shots in rich, vivid colors.

Posterized shots [​IMG] Poster Effect Shots that resemble an old poster or illustration.

Special Modes for Other Purposes Auto Shooting After Face Detection [​IMG] Smart Shutter You can choose [Auto Shooting After Smile Detection], [Wink Self-Timer] or [Face Self-Timer].

High-Speed Continuous Shooting [​IMG] High-speed Burst You can shoot a series of shots in rapid succession by holding the shutter button all the way down.

Shooting Long Exposures [​IMG] Long Shutter Specify a shutter speed of 1 – 15 seconds to shoot long exposures. In this case, mount the camera on a tripod or take other measures to prevent camera shake.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Most consumer level point and shoots don't give any options to control focus. Looks like my link was for the sx60 a bridge camera, sorry about that. You'll have to look for a touch to focus option on the camera before buying if you do not have a Dslr.