I'm a newbie from Western Australia!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Isac, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Hi everyone! My name is Greg and my username is Isac, which stands for I Shoot A Canon. I've been using Canon cameras and other products for what seems like an eternity. I have done MANY things in my life, too many to mention, so #1 (besides my family) is Photography including Photoshop editing - been doing that since 1992!.
    I belong to a few photography forums (one as an admin) and I just love the banter and seeing wonderful images from all over the world. My passion is helping out wherever I can, especially on the Photoshop side of things. I have a website called Isac Images Digital Photography and nowadays I just maintain that for a hobby (since I retired in 2014) and have lots of free Photoshop Actions for anyone who wants to download them. I don't know if I can insert a link here as yet but a search will find it easily enough.
    So now I just enjoy walking my dog "Charlie" (a Panda Faced Cavoodle) every day and taking photos. I live within a block of 2 lakes so I have plenty of subject matter to keep me busy.
    My #2 passion is music. I play rhythm guitar and am the lead singer in a 60's cover band and I love it. My bass player and I have been together since 1975! and still going strong. Covid-19 put a stop to gigging for a while but being in an isolated part of the world, we are now getting back to normal. Stay safe everyone and I look forward to participating! Cheers, Greg.

Grumpy John likes this.

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Hi Greg, I have seen you hanging around the forum. But welcome to the forum. My user name is not that creative, mine is just my initials. Likewise, I belong to other forums. My Photoshops skills are not that great. I have not long downloaded GIMP, and I need to start to dip my toes into that learning pool.

It sounds as if you have lots of opportunities to take images which is good. I am looking forward to your input to the forum, I for one could do with some post processing tips.

When it comes to music, you don't want to hear me sing, not an experience I would want to force onto anyone.

Gary

3. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Thanks Gary for the kind words. I'm a die-hard Photoshop user so I'm afraid I won't be much help with GIMP. But, in saying that, I may be able to help with ideas on HOW to edit things, as GIMP (I've heard) is similar to PS so the methods would be much the same.
    I'm sure your vocal skills are not as bad a you say. :)
    It looks a bit nippy over your way, are you North or South?

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Nippy, that's one way to put it. 5.6 degree C at the moment. Hail earlier this evening with snow flurries around the hills tonight.

I'm living in the South Island, at Christchurch.

Gary

5. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    I'm not swapping just yet, I'm happy to rough it here in the West!

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I don't blame you.

We swung on by your neck of the woods a couple of years ago. When we were leaving Australia we done a 16 000km road trip from Darwin to Melbourne via the west coast. There are some fantastic places along the coast. We drove from Darwin to here......

IMGP7111_resize.jpg
    And then headed south past here...
    IMGP7404_resize.jpg

And stayed with friends in Perth and went here.... IMGP9892_resize.jpg

And went further south to here.... B&W_Panorama1_resize.jpg

All images are in WA, but this is my pre Canon days.

Gary

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    nice images, Gary, I have only been to WA. once and that was on a Army exercise, the only landscape I saw was desert.

8. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Lovely photo ops on our West Coast Gary. It's a big coast line up north so I don't know where the first one is. #3 is in High Street Fremantle. Weird artwork on those buildings, they must have had too much yellow paint left over after a road marking job. #4 is definitely the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse, a very iconic landmark in our South West. Did you go to the Cape Leeuwin Water Wheel? magnificent rocks for foreground shots with the lighthouse in the background.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    GDN likes this.
  9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Well done sir. Number one is up at Cape Leveque, number two is Cable beach, and you are bang on for the last two.

No, we didn't go to the water wheel as a bit of a nut job decided to try and join us. So we jumped into the car and drove down the road a little bit to put some distance between him and us, and this is where I took the final image.

Gary

10. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Loopies are everywhere Gary! You've gotta be careful out there. PS I fixed the reference numbers for your images :)