Image transfer via Wifi is very very slow

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by Garddiner, Mar 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Garddiner

Garddiner New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 600D
    Hello,

I have troubles uploading images from my camera to my PC thru wifi ; it is very slow.
    The actual config is :
    - Canon EOS RP
    - Recent Tower PC with Windows 10 64 bits
    - Image Transfer Utility.
    The time to upload a 12 MB JPEG image from the camera to the PC thru my domestic wifi network is more than 5 minutes.
    I use the same wifi network to transfer 70MB data from a tablet to my PC in few seconds.
    I followed the user manual.
    Did I miss something ?
    Thank you.
    Gardiner

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Buy a USB 3.0 card reader, take the card out of your camera, plug it into the reader, put the reader into a USB 3.0 port on your PC and you will never want to use WiFi again. I have been using that method for years and I noticed a huge speed improvement when USB 3.0 came along.

3. Garddiner

Garddiner New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 600D
    This answer doesn't really help.
    My questions was:
    - do I use EOS RP WiFi features correctly?
    - is the WiFi of the EOS RP fast?
    - does my camera have a bug?
    I tried to transfer by placing my camera one foot from my Wifi box.
    Transfer speed looks like good. I didn't measure but about one second for each picture.
    My conclusion is that the EOS RP WiFi is very poor.
    And I will continue to use the card + USB method as I did before.
    Thanks a lot.
    Gardiner

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I assume the RP is the same as other cameras I have used in the past, it is slow. This could be hardware or software in nature to be honest or a combination of both. the Card reader method is nice because software is taken out of the equation, you are only limited to the USB speed. It's been ages since I used the usb to camera method as well, but it was also slower than I expected, probably similar to the wifi speed your indicating, there is likely some processing and buffering done between the camera and software on the computer.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    have you checked to make sure the camera is only transfering the jpeg and not jpeg + raw?
    i only transfer via wifi, card never leaves the camera, but i have the M50 and mac book pro so i doubt i can be of much help.
    12mb jpeg files from the m50 to macbook pro take a matter of seconds , bt broardbrand

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. Ken St John

Ken St John New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, EOS R
    I also notice my R is slow when my MacBook Air (M1) is connected by both ethernet (through a hub) and wifi. When I turn off the Wifi on the Air, the transfer from the camera is significantly faster.

Ken