Is there a list of Sigma lenses with AF?

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Michael T Hall, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Michael T Hall

Michael T Hall New Member

Equipment:
    Nothing at the moment but want to get started in the DSLR world. Used to have a Nikon F series back in the day of film cameras.
    I have been trying to find out if there is a list of which Sigma lenses will work with autofocus available on the crop sensor Canon cameras such as the 50D. Any info is appreciated.

2. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    Not got time to look on the internet this morning but I have seen, albeit a couple of years ago, a list such as you need. I gather the earliest of Canon digital may be able to use them but I have seen nothing to support this from Canon owners. I have a Sigma AF 50mm macro that I would like to use.

Michael T Hall likes this.
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Your best bet is the sigma website, i say this because sigma makes lenses for every mount and they allow you to filter by camera brand.
    The DG lenses are designed for full frame while the DC lenses are smaller and lighter and only work on crop sensor.
    You can buy any EF mount lens that is made for full frame and use it on your crop sensor body.

4. Michael T Hall

Equipment:
    Nothing at the moment but want to get started in the DSLR world. Used to have a Nikon F series back in the day of film cameras.
    Thank you. This is helpful.

5. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    This is taken from Photo.net, "It's not quite true that older lenses work only on film. With older EF-mount digital cameras they are usually okay too. I went from a D30, to a DCS560, to a Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c, and finally a 1Ds, and my older Sigma lenses work fine on all of them. It was with the 10D and later models (such as the 1Ds Mark II) that Canon broke compatibility with older Sigma lenses. That is one reason why I am reluctant to buy a newer Canon body." So pre 10D they do work on digital.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I am not sure of a list. But I can recommend the "art" series of lenses. I have one, and it is my most used wide angle lens. But I have it in another mount, and not Canon. I would happily buy another in this series without thinking twice.

Gary

7. Michael T Hall

Equipment:
    Thank you Gary.

8. Marcus Rowland

Marcus Rowland Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Eos 40D, Canon 18-55mm, Yongnuo 50mm f1.8, lots of adapters for other lenses
    Nikon D7000, Nikon 18-70, Tamron XR 28-300mm, Nikon AF 50mm 1.4, Samyang 8mm f3.8, Sigma EX 50 2.8D macro, Sigma APO 170-500 5-6.3D, etc.
    Panasonic Lumix G1, 14-42 3.5-5.6, lots of adapters
    Pentax K200, Pentax 18-55mm
    Sony A230, Sony 18-70 3.5-5.6
    Sony A3500 18-55 several adapters
    Sony DSC-V1 with infrared kit.
    FLIR One thermal imaging camera for iPhone
    I see a lot of Sigma lenses in my eBay trading - the DC ones have always been OK, I've never had an "art lens" but I gather they're OK too. But I would treat anything else with a lot of suspicion unless the vendor is prepared to guarantee compatibility and accept returns. Earlier Sigmas have a lot of problems - as well as the compatibility issue, there's the disintegrating black coating on a lot of earlier lenses, and quite a few have fungus.

9. Michael T Hall

Equipment:
    Good advice. I didn't think about the fungus issue. I already don't like the dust issue on my focusing screen so I know that fungus inside a lens would drive me crazy.

10. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Well sir, I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 (love it) and I use a Sigma 70~300mm APO Macro on it and it works just great. In fact, I was out shooting with it today and will be happy to post an image. So, here goes. IMG_9171.JPG

11. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    This image is straight out of camera. Haven't even resized it yet. Turned pretty sharp actually. Here is the skinny:

Canon EOS Rebel t5 with Sigma 70~300mm APO Macro Lens.
    1/640s, F/8, ISO 100, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash, Focal Length 209mm with CWA Metering.
    Tony