Just Black and White

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by GDN, Aug 23, 2018.

1. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Oh yeah, you have nailed it, Gary. Excellent mono conversion.

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Cheers Ray,

I found this location about a month ago, and today was my first chance to get back to it. Shot with a 7D, and 400mm 5.6L.

Regards

Gary

3. rayallen

GDN likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I can see why it is one of your favourites.

I will go away and try harder.

Gary

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    And here is the end of the wharf at Governors Bay.

Gary

IMG_0361a.jpg

rayallen likes this.
  6. rayallen

That's nice but I think it could handle a little more contrast. Just my opinion.

7. rayallen

Here is another of my favourite (I have a few of them!) mono images. A staircase in the QVB (Queen Victoria Building) in the Sydney CBD. It was quite difficult to get this composition.

[​IMG]_IMG1421BW_The_Staircase by Ray Allen, on Flickr

GDN and Craig Sherriff like this.
  8. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    your elements in the photo work well and the yacht stand out nicely , an excellent black and white photo

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Thanks for your input guys. I do agree with the end of the wharf contrast. When I viewed the image on my laptop, it looked a tad flat and washed out straight out of the camera. Not sure why, maybe I was trying to produce something from nothing. But I will have another go when I get the chance to get back out there.

Gary

10. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Gary, I downloaded a copy on your jetty photo and put in into Photoshop, tweaking the exposure, brightness and contrast I think it would not take much to improve your shot, if you don't have Photoshop there are free programs that let you change the exposure etc , The changes I made are a personal choice. By darkening the photo gives it a moody look but this is a personal view GND3.jpg

11. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Craig, you are more than welcome to have a go to improve this image. I think you have a better result than what I have achieved. At some point, I will go back and have another go at this image. I will do a little chimping as well. I know part of my problem is not really knowing how to process these images. I have Adobe Elements, but I tend to use the presets to convert from colour to mono. I should learn how to convert these images manually. I am sure that I would end up with a better result.

Thanks for your input.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  12. rayallen

13. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I prefer version two. More blacks than greys. All part of the learning curve for me.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  14. rayallen

Gary,

For me, most of the work occurs in post processing. But if the starting image has some good contrast that will help. You can only do so much with a flat image. I have never worked with Adobe Elements so I can't offer any assistance there. I expect that it could do similar adjustments to those in PS. There is always more than one way to achieve your objective.
    Here is an image that I processed with a free program called FastStone Image Viewer http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

[​IMG]_IMG7867_Darling_Harbour by Ray Allen, on Flickr

15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    That's alright Ray, if my photo gets you or anyone else to try and improve it in post then this is a good thing. I hope others think along the same line of thought.

16. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:

17. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Gary the more you have a go at processing your files in Photoshop or similar programs the more you learn and develop, I also recommend you go on YouTube and look at a site called Phlearn of all the sites this is the one that I found easiest to learn from about photoshop

18. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    This is a shot I uploaded some time ago and I think it lends itself to black and white so what do you think. 6L5X1825Austins Ferry Park.jpg

19. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    It has potential. But for me, I would rather the two people and dog on right to be a little closer to the center and not right on the edge. Maybe also include the top of the trees, so a portrait rather than landscape format.

Just my thoughts.

Gary

20. rayallen

Craig, I agree with Gary. The B&W tones are great but the people and the dog should be walking into the image rather than out.