Just Black and White

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by GDN, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I agree with with both comments, when I took the shot it was of the tree in the center, that I had noticed a few days prior. I was a bit slow to catch the dog walkers when I set up. It might improve the shot if I crop them out completely or try and cut them out and move them into the center of frame. What do you think ?

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I think they add to the image and it is better to have them there but not centred. They would be better on a L/H third IMHO.

3. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    6L5X1825Austins Ferry Park object moved.jpg
    Ray I moved the walkers to the left hand side but when I moved the cutout of them but I had trouble fitting them to the flatter area as it did not look 100 percent natural( their shadows were wrong for the position, so I tried putting them to the right where it is uneven ground and also had trouble filling the area where they were moved from so I cropped the image, what do you think, any comment would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    The way that I would present this image is as a square. I have not changed anything apart from cropping the image. I know I said portrait, but I think that image works best like this. I would like a little more room on the right of the image, and the tree tops. I think that the lighter tree balances the dog walkers a little. With adding a little foreground, the dog walkers are not so crammed into the lower right corner.

Again, just my own personal thoughts.

Regards

Gary

6L5X1825Austins Ferry Park.jpg

Craig Sherriff likes this.
  5. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I think you might have something there Gary, the photo does look more balanced. Come to think of it the photo now reminds me of those old 3d images, with the highlighted tree and the dog walkers in the mid-ground and viewed through a 3D viewer.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

That is better, Craig, as there is more room between them and the edge. It might be easier to go back and wait for someone to walk through in the right position. :);):(

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    After seeing the photo morph into what it has become I am tempted to go back one afternoon and retake the image.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    There is nothing wrong for going back for another go Craig. I have a few places that I am planning to go back to for another crack at.

If you do decide to return, I would be interested to see your results.

Gary

9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    When I get the time and go I shall try to recreate the last version of the image and see how it turns out.

10. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Paid another visit to Austins Ferry Park today and I got an image near the same place as before, this time with a couple in the area but I was a bit further away so feel free to play around with the shot austins ferry revisit.jpg

11. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Craig,

I had a go at your image. But when I work on the image it becomes very pixelated, so I will not post my result. But again I used a square format. I positioned the left edge of the image along the tree trunk that is behind the left hand person in the image. I kept the foreground, and the top of the image. I think that the walkers should be in focus, the foreground seems to be in focus, and not the walkers.

Regards

Gary

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Sorry Garry, I had a quick visit and rushed the shot before the couple moved out of frame, I will be back again tomorrow when I take my photography class out to the area, hopefully I will have the time to be set up and send a larger file and will delete this last one .

13. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I have not been able to redo the previous image for one reason or another so here is what is on the other side of the trees, I have increased the size of the JPEG file so hopefully it will not be pixilated. please feel free to play around with the image. other side of trees.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  14. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Craig,

Here is my effort. I have cropped a little of the bright light sky out. I have increased the contrast a little as well. It looks a little darker now, but it just could be my monitor. I tried to pull out the hills in the background a little more, but not as much as I wanted.

Regards

Gary

other side of trees 1.jpg

15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    At the moment it is a bit hard to tell as I am using my TV as a computer screen

16. Sundar Amartur

Sundar Amartur Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L
    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4
    Canon EF50mm f/1.8
    Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
    Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
    Pentax gear
    Here is a shot I took recently (I have posted it earlier).. Would this be a good candidate for Mano conversion?

IMG_5266.jpg

Here is the Mano conversion

IMG_5266(B&W).jpg

Here is another pair

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5370(B&W).jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  17. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    sundar, I think the second shot was suited as a black and white image. Do you mind if some of us have a play around with the image ?

18. Sundar Amartur

Sundar Amartur Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L
    Canon EF 70-300mm f/4
    Canon EF50mm f/1.8
    Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
    Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
    Pentax gear
    Sure, no issues

19. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I'm with Craig, I prefer the second image.

Gary

20. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I was just playing around tonight. Guess it counts as a mono image. I bit of a heavy crop as I was unable to zoom with my feet.

Gary

IMG_0388.jpg