LENS ERROR PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Ashley, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Equipment:
    Canon g7x i
    Hi everyone! I have a Canon G7x i. I just turned it on and the camera booted up fine. Went to take a pic and all of a sudden on the screen said Lens error and shut down. Problem is, is that the lens is still fully extended and every time I turn it on the same thing happens over and over, screen is black, says lens error will shut down automatically and switches itself off. I'm losing my mind as I take such good care of my camera and have never ever dropped it. I've tried every tip i've seen online, running paper under ect but NOTHING WORKS!!! I hope someone can help.

Thank you!!!

2. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum. I suppose its time for a trip to the repair shop. Is the camera still under warranty?

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Equipment:
    Canon g7x i
    no it's not in warranty... any suggestions?

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Te only idea that I have is to remove the battery and leave it out of the camera for a while. Fully recharge the battery, and try it again.

Gary

5. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    If the lens stays extended after power down try putting a little pressure on the lens to push it in as it powers down. The usual cause of this problem is a little bit of grit or sand in the lens mechanism which has caused the gearing to jam. This is the very reason you should not take an unprotected camera to the beach or anywhere there is dust blowing around.

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Equipment:
    Canon g7x i
    Yeah I've tried that too and it doesn't budge at all. I've never used this camera outside and ALWAYS keep it in a leather cast. I'm so confused!!!!

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sorry to hear about the camera lens issue, sometimes even when you baby something it still can break. Unfortunately other than trying to ease it in when shutting down there is not much you can do, this is a mechanical problem and will need to be serviced. Since it is not under warranty you can pick between canon or some other local shop if you have one where you are at. I would call canon walk through any troubleshooting they want and then they will have you ship in. If it is a common problem with the camera they may fix it for you (i did notice others complaining of the same problem when i searched online) otherwise they will provide an estimate, but given the cost of the camera I am guessing you will want to fix it if the cost s reasonable.

8. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Equipment:
    Canon g7x i
    I keep trying to press the lens in but honestly it won't budge even the slightest its the weirdest thing. I turned it on yesterday and the lense came out as normal then boom all went down hill from there

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Equipment:
    Canon g7x i
    ITS WORKING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    great to hear, any idea of the problem or what you think you might have done to relieve it?

11. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Glad to hear its working again! :) I hope it was just a one time thing.
    My primary concern was that you be cautious with a mechanical issue like that was if it doesn't un-jam with some careful pressure you have a high risk of breaking it further. A stuck lens needing servicing vs a broken lens needing servicing would be a very different bill.