lens retraction vs keep zoom

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by xanna, Nov 22, 2023.

1. xanna

xanna New Member

I'm a Canon ignoramus. I had a Powershot SX430IS, which annoyed me greatly by the lens retracting very soon after I'd taken a shot, and retracting every time I switched off.
    Ideally, I'd like to take a zoomed shot; then switch off to save battery, with the lens still extended—so that, a few minutes later, seeing another shot at about the same distance, I only have to switch on, then focus quickly to get the shot—NOT wait while the lens slowly zooms out again, then focus, by which time it's too late for the shot.
    That camera died an accidental death. Now I'm looking to buy a G5 X II or similar, but don't want to get stuck with the same problem. Reviews don't touch on this. Is there a compact travel zoom Canon that doesn't have this habit?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    G series was simply canon's high end compact point and shoot camera, both them and the power-shots are meant to be generally compact by nature and have retractable lenses, this is a standard safety feature in any camera without a detachable lens. It really does not matter the brand, all you will have this problem, they all go into power save and pull the lens in.

I don't see a good solution to your issue short of buying a higher end camera and a telephoto that you manually zoom yourself.

Maybe someone knows of a setting on a specific camera that i am not thinking of and can jump in and mention it,

3. xanna

xanna New Member

Thanks for your clear answer, johnsey. I'm still mourning my old Fujifilm S9500 (2005), which did have a manual zoom ring and did behave as I've described, not auto-retracting till after about 5 mins of non-activity. I rather think the Canon must use more power (not less) by motoring in and out all the time, than it would if the lens stayed out more. So, still looking ...

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Ive had canon and nikon point and shoots, both brands quickly retracted automatic as described. Power is part of the reason, but they are mainly taking the risk off them if you bump and damage the plastic cheap barrel so they don't let them stay extended where they easily can break. Power wise my powershots have gone for hundreds of images over months and months, its does not seem to have a real effect on battery.

5. xanna

xanna New Member

Thanks, Johnsey. Good to know.