Lighting Troubles

Discussion in 'Photographic Technique' started by Damian Murdoch, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Damian Murdoch

Damian Murdoch New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 700d
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to record video of myself talking to the camera on my Canon 700d. The camera is in my motorhome and I'm sitting on the couch of the motorhome with the back doors open, so that the scenery behind (eg ocean) me is a backdrop.

At the moment I'm a silhouette, whereas if I record the video the same way on my iphone it comes up fine.

Can someone give me some tips on what I'm doing wrong, and what to do to get good quality video in this situation?

Very much appreciate any info you're able to give.

Cheers,

Damian

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Does the HDR backlit scene option work in video? I'm not really familiar with shooting video on the more automatic cameras. What I can say is your iphone is able to identify you speaking and moving and expose for you were as your DSLR is averaging for the scene likely which is why a backlit scene exposes the foreground in silhouette. You can pick shooting mode that allows you to adjust the shutter or aperture till your exposed properly.

Damian Murdoch likes this.
  3. Damian Murdoch

Damian Murdoch New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 700d
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Johnsey, appreciated!
    I'm not familiar with the HDR backlit scene option, is that a setting on the camera? I tried all the settings on the dial, but none improved it.
    When u say pick shooting mode, do you mean manual? And then play with the shutter speed and aperture?

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yes you can either shoot manual and adjust the shutter or aperture. Or you can use the other automatic modes and then add exposure compensation. Either way you will be over exposing the image from what it has read the scene to be so that you in the foreground are exposed properly.

Do you have the owners manual? You can easily find a copy online doing a web search.