Lost images , can it happen from changing battery

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Christy, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Christy

Christy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon R5, 24-70mm II, 70-200 II US 2.0, 135L, 100 macro L, 580 ex, 580 exii
    Hi, I shot a musical and did some before show shots which didn't download when I downloaded the card. I was only using the one card.

I have brought two recovery programs, both of them have not worked. They have recovered photos from last year but not the ones I took on the 10th Feb.

Can changing the battery midway cause image loss?

Im devastated.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the recovery program can recover erased data from the traces left on the card.
    Can you see the images viewable on the camera when you scroll through playback? My guess is nothing was captured, hence nothing downloaded or recovered. The question is what did you do differently, the battery change should have no impact on the card writing. They do not even share the same door, so it is not like the card could have been pushed in/out by the battery change.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    silly question but was the musical stuff shot each side of midnight, if something on the card runs through the day change it puts it in two separate folders for the two day dates

4. Christy

Christy New Member

Equipment:
    Hi, possibly as the time stamps are different. But I have three folders that I have found and im missing around 1500 images.

5. Christy

Christy New Member

Equipment:
    I have tried both disk drill and Wondershare Recoverit and neither have been able to find the missing images. I shot the musical twice and the shots that are missing are all the behind the scenes images. I cant see them on the camera anymore, but I DID see them when I shot them. The only thing I did was change battery just before the show began. So Im missing around 1500 images.

6. John L

John L Active Member

Please don't take this the wrong way - but are you absolutely sure that in the heat of the moment you didn't swap cards as well as the battery?

7. Christy

Christy New Member

Equipment:
    Hi John, and totally ok to ask. I only have the one card so definitely didn't swap it. It holds just over 4,000 raw images. I am at a complete loss where they have gone. Ive spent the entire weekend running recovery programs. :-(

8. John L

John L Active Member

Are the two programs you have got able to deal with .CR3 files? If not, that would explain their inability to see them.

9. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hi Christy, you have just learned a valuable lesson, always backup you images as soon as possible and regularly format your card in the camera. There is one other way this can happen as it did to one of my students and that is he got a virus off a printer in Kmart as he tried to print out some of his images.
    lost all of his images on the
    SD card, He now puts a copy of them on a USB drive and uses that to print from.

10. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    Hi @ChristyAnne,

Unfortunate Accidents may happen with anyone and thus result in unavoidable data loss.
    Maybe you have swapped the battery without powering off the device due to which the essential data could not be transferred into the SD card because of a sudden power outage.

But there is still a possibility of data recovery of your photos and videos in the SD Card. Just go for some generic software that is powerful enough to recover your data from an SD card.

You can refer here.

Hope it Helps!

11. Samy

Samy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90D
    As Ellinor said, Accidents and technical problems can happen that may lead to the loss or deletion of your photos and videos taken from the Canon camera. Changing the batteries might be the problem and it may cause data error.
    You can use a photo recovery tool like stellar or wondershare to fix your data loss issues. Try to use their free versions to select for better chances of confirmation.

12. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Guys, the original poster already stated they have used multiple recover programs on the card, also the post is over a year old and they have not responded again. Their issue was that they expected more recovered images, not an issue with selecting a recovery program. It seems their last photo outing did not record images not that there was an error, they plain did not see their music recital on the card, maybe the card was locked. I'm not sure this user is monitoring the thread a year later, so we can probably let this settle unless they reply.