M5 Touch and Drag feature not working

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by Raysed50, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Raysed50

Raysed50 New Member

Equipment:
    M5 + 18-200 canon lens
    I wish to disable the small focus box from moving around the screen as I frequently accidentally move it with my thumb or nose. I have gone into the Menus and switched Touch and Drag to disable but it does not change. I also tried highlighting the effective area of then screen to one corner but this feature does not change either. What am I doing wrong please? Do I need to update software. This is a relatively new camera and it is the first time I have tried to do this.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Raysed, I don't have your camera but I have looked at the manual for it. The dragging feature allows you to use all or part of the screen to drag the focus box to a new location which you likely disabled as you described as well as minimized the area for dragging. However the camera still relies on the touch screen for focusing so that would not disable the screen completely.
    I did not see that as an option either and I question if you even want that as it does not seem you can set focus points in viewfinder for viewfinder focusing. So are you trying to shoot with the camera to your eye and rely solely on the cameras initial focus selection for shooting?
    There are three focus modes, smooth zone, face detect and 1 point. Lets look at 1 point, the camera will use the last touched spot on the screen to focus on, so you are not dragging the spot you are just selecting a new one with your nose when you put it to your face.

You could place the location of focus, then hold shutter down halfway and hit MF to lock focus, but that shuts down all focusing not just the box location to where you want it so the locked focus will be from before you put it to your face and you may have issues with compositions that have a shallow depth of field.. You then need to unlock to focus on the next subject. This is probably not the best way to get around it.

My recommendation is to go the other direction and embrace this cameras way of being handled, they designed it to be held away from the face and used, Turn on the shutter with the focus box is touched and shoot by pressing the screen where you want the camera to focus, rather than fighting with it to use the viewfinder.

Don't get me wrong this would be a bit of a retrain my brain situation too, as I use DSLRs and am used to changing my focus point in viewfinder with the dial on the back.

3. Raysed50

Raysed50 New Member

Equipment:
    M5 + 18-200 canon lens
    Thank you johnsey for taking the time to give a detailed response. I may have explained my problem incorrectly but I still have learned from what you suggest. My exact issue is not such a problem as a nuisance. I use touch and drag for when I use the screen and want to retain that ability but I also like to use the viewfinder because I find it easier to capture the perspective I want. My annoyance is that I accidentally touch the screen with my thumb and then when I put the viewfinder to my eye to catch the perspective I want in a hurry, I miss it because the focus point is moved to the corner of the screen. I have to drag it back to the centre but I then have missed the shot.
    I have found a way round this by disabling the screen using one of the free buttons. But the bigger issue is the the touch and drag facility will not disable when I switch it off in the menus. Also it does not switch off by the dedicated button beside the lens, even though it says it is off, on the screen. There is a malfunction, I think and the camera is relatively new.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So after re-reading the touch and drag option and seeing online comments, it appears that may also be a interpretation issue of the option.
    Seems that enable and disable of the function refers to while looking through the electronic viewfinder. Which means the sensor next to the EVF needs to register that your face is up to the camera before disabling the tough and drag. Several people have noted that it does not have that option when viewing the LCD.
    Does this sound like what you are experiencing? If that is how it works I feel like keeping it enabled and dragging the location while keeping to my eye is the best way to use the electronic viewfinder.

5. Raysed50

Raysed50 New Member

Equipment:
    M5 + 18-200 canon lens
    Fair play Johnsey, you have solved my issue. The disable function is effective when I use the viewfinder but not the screen, I didn't realise that. Thank you.