M50, 250D, or something else?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Vojtooo, Mar 6, 2021.

Tags:
?

M50, 250D or something else

1. M50

50.0%
  2. 250D

50.0%
  3. something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vojtooo

Vojtooo New Member

Hi,

I am a newbie getting into photography and I am trying to pick the best value for money camera. My aim is landscape, architecture + portrait. Right now, my favourites are M50 and 250D, which cost approximately the same where I live.

Which one of these would you consider better? Or is there something better (maybe coming in 2021)?

From what I know, they are very similar, but 250D uses EF lenses, that are more available and cheaper, while the age of EFM lenses might be over.
    On the other hand, M50 has that centerpin for flash.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome vojtoo, any modern camera can do any of these things, it will be the choice of lens you need to consider for your style of photography.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would opt for something in the dslr over the m series simply for the larger variety of lens options. You could also consider a slightly older but step up model and get something like a 70d or 80d. the lower end of the bodies are a bit more simple like a point and shoot and some people want to step up in camera quicker. But there are no wrong answers

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have the M50 and the lens choice in the ef-m mount is not just limited to the ones canon make, i do have all the canon ef-m lenses exept the older kit lens, also a few other makes like Laowa and 7artisans, with an ef adapter you have an insane amount of glass, there are also vintage adapters for the ef-m so this opens up the vintage lenses too.
    After owning the M50 for a year and a few months one thing is for certain, i won't be selling the M50 if i was to upgrade to a full frame, you can go very small and light with the native lenses or go do some long end wildlife with big 400-800mm lenses.
    i don't have any experiance with other types of camera as this is my first proper camera, its done every thing i needed and there are loads of things i have planned so a good few years left in it yet, even if canon did abandon the ef-m lenses, they will still work going forward, i don't think there will be many more ef-m lenses coming out of canon as they very busy up front with the R mounts and R1 body.

The M50 has a great evf system and focusing aids which i find extremely useful, the magnify in the evf has been esp good to my 51 year old eyes!!

Chris Firth likes this.