M50 not recognizing horizontal lines for AF'ing

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Caladina, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    ""from Canon Rumors have speculated that the Canon EOS R1 could have Quad Pixel AF and a global shutter. Quad Pixel autofocus leads on from Dual Pixel AF technology, which is where there are dedicated left-looking and right-looking pixels on the image sensor that are used to calculate whether an image is in focus or not.""

2. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Unfortunately my M50 is at work and I will not be until Thursday. However I do have an M100 at home here with me which has DPAF. I have just tested it on a central heating radiator in my house with vertical lines. If I hold the M100 camera in landscape orientation and focus on the radiator, the camera is happy to auto focus and take a shot. If I hold the M100 in portrait orientation and try to focus it on the radiator whos lines are now horizontal to the camera, it constantly fails to autofocus on the exact same lines which it was happy to focus on a few seconds earlier in landscape orientation. Please note that although my M100 is listed as IR converted, I have not yet sent it off to have the conversion done, it is bone stock. Lens used EF-M 15-45

Hope this helps.

G.

3. vermamanu8

vermamanu8 New Member

Equipment:
    u u g
    i got the camera around jan this year and i'm looking forward to this months jupiter/saturn conjunction so not really wanting to let it go in for repair this month but if i have to i might have to get another M50 while its being repaired.

4. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Repaired for what reason? If it's the vertical/horizontal line focusing issue discussed in this thread then there is absolutely no point in sending it for repair and buying a second M50 to use instead as your replacement M50 will likely suffer from the same problem. This focus issue is an artifact of the EOS M range of cameras and is not likely to be fixed without a new firmware update issued by Canon. IMHO you'd just be wasting time and money on an issue that can not be fixed by a repair company or Canon quickly.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    the text in vermamanu8, comment above was something i posted a while back before the issue was resolved so i'm not sure if he had a question regarding the matter, looking at the post count they might be working out how the forum works