M50 won't take pictures with new manual focus lens

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by Darkpaw, Jul 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Darkpaw

Darkpaw New Member

I just got a new lens for my M50 with a much wider aperture than the stock one from the combo. It's a Neewer 35mm f1.7, all manual focus. The camera seems to recognize it just fine, and manual focus mode is correctly showing on the display. But pressing the button to take the picture, nothing happens. Hopefully this is just some setting somewhere that I have just missed, and not a lens incompatibility. The product (on Amazon) says that it's compatible with the Canon mirrorless. Here's the URL to the exact product:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BMRDFDL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What am I missing here? I've tried it in aperture priority and in full manual mode. Everything seems to be working, and the image on the display is exactly as I expect it to be, but it refuses to take the picture.

2. Darkpaw

Darkpaw New Member

Found it. So in case anyone else comes across this thread in the future...

On page 5 of the tools menu (wrench icon) there's a custom function to release the shutter without detecting the lens. This needs to be set to Enabled.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    glad you found it, quite a few people on facebook groups don't know about it either.
    now you have found out how to use a manual focus lens take a look at vintage M42 mount lenses like the takumars and pentacons etc, they are super cheap and have excellent build and optics, try watching a few youtube ids on them, you can get some unique images when you know how to take advantage of their renders

you will need an M42 to eos-m adapter, around £10 on ebay

m42 eosm.jpg
    flower13r.jpg

4. Darkpaw

Darkpaw New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.