Mechanical noise scaring birds away (EOS 2000D)

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Paul Hester, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Paul Hester

Paul Hester New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 2000D
    TL;DR below

I've recently been trying to get some decent photos of birds (feathered!) in my back garden. As I only have the stock 18-55mm (18-50?) lens, getting a close up is difficult.
    To that end, I put some bird seed on a table, set my tripod & camera up about 5 feet away, zoomed in, focused, and connected to my home wifi. I can now sit in my (warm) house watching for activity on the camera connect app. Easy life.
    Except...
    Connection times out after about 3 minutes so if a bird lands, I open camera connect & the camera then presumable lifts the mirror - CLUNK - bird flies off. I've kinda solved that. I keep camera connect image viewing active so the connection won't drop. Now, as I watch battery life of my phone and camera drop in real time (Canon disables using the EOS with a PC over WiFi as it is "only a beginners camera"), at least when the critters land I can almost/sometimes get a shot in but now the noise of the taking the photo scares the birds.

TL;DR
    Why is there a noise when taking a photo through camera connect? Isn't the image I see on my phone coming direct from the sensor? Meaning the shutter doesn't have to move?
    Is there a way to get around this noise - I could move the camera further away but I'm losing detail doing that.

Hope someone can help

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You do have a shutter that is stuck open when i live view so you can see through the lens with the sensor, it will slap shut and also why the camera will timeout. Camera still works the same way because the energy is pushed to the sensor in a wave when you push the button, the mechanical shutter still trips timed with the aperture closure. This is also related to the rolling shutter issue in video which can be observed during motion. The camera works in a wave of capture across the sensor.

Many birders prefer to distance themselves as far as possible with really long lenses allowing them to track the bird quietly and frame the image as they want to rather than wait and trigger remotely when the bird enters the frame. I think that 50-250mm lens will be a good companion for your 18-50.
    If you down the road really want to get the camera further away than that the options do get much more complex as the price tags go way up on very long lenses; lets not worry about that for now :) 50mm is very short for bird photos lets get you something better suited, 50mm is great for a portraits though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  3. Paul Hester

Paul Hester New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 2000D
    Thanks for your reply, I understand why there is noise now (penny drops)! Of course the shutter still needs to activate in order to implement shutter speed I guess.
    As it's (so far) only for a college project, I didn't want to be spending money if that wasn't my preferred direction. A friend has just said I can borrow his (oldish) Tamron lens - 55-250mm so that sounds perfect to try before splashing out on my own lens.
    Thanks for the explanation & advice.