Morning & Hello from Devon, England!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by nickexe, Dec 29, 2019.

1. nickexe

nickexe New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 110d & 80D
    Morning all - just joined ! Photo crazy but very amateur !! user of a 1100d ...recently purchased a 80D and struggling a bit with it...the settings I had got used to on my 1100..are not as straight forward on the 80! help!
    My favourite go to setting was A-Dep and the 80d doesn't have it as a standard setting...I am sounding very amateur aren't I!
    nickexe

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome, Nickexe. I have and use a 60D, very similar to the 80D, which I have also used for video work.
    The aperture value or AV setting is very similar. You set your Aperture and the camera does the rest. If you are unsure of what Depth of field is, it is how much is in focus before and after your point of focus or subject. There is three things that effect it and those are 1. how far away you are from the subject. 2. the focal length of your lens( eg. 50mm), 3. The aperture or how big the hole created by the diaphragm in the lens( eg. F1.8, F8 or F16). F1.8 is a shallow depth of field or not much of the subject is sharp, used for up close portraiture.
    F 16, everything from your minimum distance to infinity is in focus.
    Handy for landscape shots.
    My last suggestion is sit down with the camera and the manual it come with and read it like you would a dirty book and savor every page.
    The more you use the camera, the more you learn and become familiar with it.
    Now modern lenses suck as they no longer have DOF scales so Get onto the internet and type in "online depth of field calculator" This will take you to a site that lets you type in what lens you have and gives you the DOF measurements, it's pretty easy to use and understand.
    There is a lot of experienced people on the site that are willing to help with any problems, don't be shy about asking, All the best with it, Craig S.