Need advice for wireless tethering

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by AdamS*, Jul 27, 2021.

1. AdamS*

AdamS* New Member

Hello,

We use a Canon EOS Rebel T5 to take photos of books and other flat paper items for our business and were taught how to use it by a professional products photographer with whom we have lost touch. We tether via USB cable and a windows 10 operating system. Over the last year, the viewfinder semi-regularly shuts itself off when tethered to a laptop via USB. We are then forced to turn the camera off, then on, and wait for the EOS software to start up again. We've tried a number of online fixes and need something wireless--we've also adjusted all the automatic sleep/turn off settings as well with no relief. The problem repeats itself regardless of which laptop we try.

We would be grateful for recommendations on whether it's best to:

1. Choose an off the shelf wireless tethering system like this: https://tethertools.com/product/air-direct-wireless-tethering-system/

2. Buy a newer EOS Rebel--if so which? Also, if so, do we just need the body and can continue to use the lense that came with our T5? Again, we've been using the camera for at least four years but only know how to do the one thing with it--shooting books and paper--we are otherwise DSLR neophytes

3. Something else?

While budget is not a huge issue, we would like to solve the problem by spending no more than $1500.

We'd be grateful for any advice.

Thank you,
    Adam

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    What are you using to shoot tethered? Are you using Canon DPP, just the EOS utility versions 2/3, Lightroom?
    How about the USB cable how long is it and how old is it. If the cord is wearing out it could be the primary issue with dropping connectivity. I would get a good high quality USB made for tethering. I also understand that people run into issues with DPP cycling between it and the EOS utility so I would remove DPP from the equation.

https://digital-photography-school.com/tutorial-shoot-tethered/

I don't shoot enough tethered to really know the nuances, but I would be leery of going to a wireless tethering solution as that adds another software into the mix of something that is already finicky.

3. AdamS*

AdamS* New Member

Hi Johnsey,

Thanks very much for your response. Not sure what DPP is but we are using the Canon EOS utility that came in the box, updated via internet. When the camera turns on, a screen pops up with four options, we choose the third, and the photos end up in whatever folder we chose in preferences.

USB cables have been replaced several times and are mostly around 12-15 feet long. Thank you for the cable suggestion as I completely missed that places like Tether Tools made specialty tethering cables.

Going to go to a local camera shop tomorrow as well.

Thanks again,
    Adam