Need camera/gear advice from international travelers

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Karen, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark II 5d, Canon 50D, 17-40mm L Series, 50mm, 45mm, 85mm
    I need some advice, please.

My husband and I are heading to Spain this summer, and I need some advice about what gear you international travelers think is essential. We are traveling very light, and my husband is insisting my Pixel 2 phone will handle what I need. Ha! No way am I not taking a camera, but I don't want to haul around a bunch of gear. I shoot a Mark II 5D. My lens choices are 17-44mm L series f 4, 85 mm f 1.8, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8, and a 70-300mm f4. I have a little non-TTL (320 EX) speed light I can take because I don't want to take my 580 EX ii. I also have a 50D, but in addition to it being a crop sensor camera, the shutter speed wheel hangs. So that one is out.

This is my first trip to Europe, and I want fabulous photos, but not a lot of weight to carry. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I think it depend on the bag you plan to carry them around in. But just off the top of my head probably opt for the 17-40 and the 85mm with my 5D if i was cutting it down to just a few lenses.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I guess it depends on your style of photo's that you are after. I would definitely take the 17-40, and if possible, shoehorn in the 70-300. Taking a flash unit, to be fair I am not a fan of flash, and I normally bump up the ISO in dark situations. So I will leave that one to you. But what I would suggest you do is take a spare battery with you. As well as something to clean your lens with. I done a bit of a road trip around Australia, and I was a little frustrated when I got a couple of speaks of dust on the sensor, so something to clean that if required. Take enough memory cards. At least they are easy to find if you are running out of space. I have heard of people taking lots of smaller capacity cards as opposed to one large card. This is in case that one card fails. But I can honestly say I have never had a card fail on me. Lastly, a mains power adapter for your battery charger.

Other than that, have fun.

Gary