New member here a little overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Metricscaler, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Metricscaler

Metricscaler New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 7
    Hello from Vancouver Island British Columbia Canada !! I just bought a Canon EOS 7D camera kit and case and I was wondering if there was a website or book I could look at to give me the very basics on how to operate it!! Like I’m lost , it has this program installed on it called “ Magic Lantern “ and scrolling through the interface has left me confused . There’s just so much stuff on it OMG!! Anyways any help or information would be greatly appreciated .

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as a beginner you probably want it reset to factory,
    see what others think about that first though

go on youtube and type in "beginners guide to canon 7d" and other beginner or user tutorial searches, i learnt so much from youtube, not just camera stuff all sorts

Metricscaler likes this.
  3. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    I would suggest the first thing to do is get rid of Magic Lantern (ML), it is much too complicated for a new user.
    ML has not been istalled in the camera, it is a program that resides on the memory card and activates when the camera boots up. So if you wish to save it for future use then put your memory card aside and use a fresh one, otherwise format the original card on a computer which will delete ML.

Follow this by resetting the camera to factory defaults as previously suggested. You do really need to download the user manual to get the best results from your camera, it is widely available on the internet. You Tube can help to explain some operations but the manual explains everything.

Metricscaler likes this.
  4. Tracy

Tracy New Member

Equipment:
    EOS Rebel SL3
    The canon website has user manuals available. :)

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    To the point of others above, Magic lantern is advanced, and probably not ideal or someone starting out. Learn to use from factory software, ML was very popular for adding some features for advanced users, but it was not support by canon for obvious reasons, and they haven't produced new versions of it since 2018 from what i understand so the project lost its steam many years back.

User manuals as mentioned are actually great as they will walk through the actual navigation of how to do different types of things. But yes, when it comes down to learning the balance of shutter vs aperture in exposure, etc and the beginner concepts of photography watching videos or listing to podcasts etc... for teaching the basics, you will learn the when and whys that the manual only covers how to do.

6. Edwin Powell

Edwin Powell New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T3i
    As my late father was fond of saying, "When all else fails, read the directions". I was fortunate that my recently acquired Canon Rebel T3i came with its original user manual. I've only had the camera about four days, but it has already been an invaluable resource. My own challenge has been translating more than a decade's worth of knowledge of Pentax DSLRs into the Canon canon (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun). One thing you might consider is to start off simply. Put the camera into the 'green' mode on the dial, and let it do all the work while you get the feel of how the camera handles, then start branching out from there. Yeah, you're essentially turning a sophisticated DSLR into a point-n-shoot, but it's an opportunity to build confidence. If you're a visual/kinesthetic learner, YouTube videos are great. Watch them with your camera in your hands and follow what they're doing to begin building some muscle memory. But above all, be patient and don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Have fun with your camera and remember, settings can't permanently mess up the camera, and when a photo doesn't come out as planned, the delete button is your friend.

7. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum.