Newly acquired 80D focus points question and other questions.

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Suzanne, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

Equipment:
    80D (new to me). 60D (back up). Sigma 10-20, Canon 18-135, Canon 300 f/4
    I upgraded from a 60D to an 80D. I’m confused about the number of focus points and how to use them. So many more than the 60D. My first shot, the focus points jumped all over the place.

Also, it looks like you can use the back button to focus but also the shutter button. With the 60D if you enabled the back button to focus, it disabled the shutter button. What is the advantage of this?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well, the 45 points give you much larger coverage across the image, also they are cross type AF sensors and more accurate at both vertical and horizontal lines. You 'all over the place" is the camera looking for lines in the image to focus on just like your old camera, just now it is able to work with a lot more info. The best part is no mater if your using the cameras suggestion it should be more accurate, or if you picking a single point with the dial or using your finger on the touch screen you have many more points and more image coverage to work with. Or you can always go with the old method of focus and recompose, a fair amount of the time I stick with this using the center point as it is the most accurate one.