Older Canons - 10D, 20D, 30D

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Wolfeye, Apr 26, 2017.

1. tcd511

tcd511 New Member

I just became a member here and being a longtime Nikon user. I have been using a 5D and 5D mkii for about a little less than a year now. and what is sad is during this past year my D600 and D800 have sat the bench because I am just really pleased with the way the colors are rendered, especially skin tones. I am at the point of just possibly making the permanent switch. Seems I have really been missing out on something good.

2. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, as a big hoarder of lenses and cameras, why make a permanent switch, unless you are sell them to upgrade to better glass, I suggest that you keep them, you don't need Canon gear only on this site

4. Bill Ballard

Bill Ballard New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 6D MKII
    Canon 24-105 f4L
    Fujifilm X100F
    Canon G7X MKIII
    GoPro Hero 5 (2)
    GoPro Session 5
    I can give another nod to the 20D. It was my second digital camera, (the Rebel XT was the first) and I shot the 20D from 2004 through 2013 or so, when I did something of a side step and went to the T3i. The 20D, paired with my L series glass, performed beautifully for me and sustained me through a significant amount of fine art work. I successfully printed images at 16X20 and larger for gallery sales and exhibitions.

I did have some issues with batteries, and towards the end of my time with the 20D, the CF cards it used were becoming hard to find in the capacities I wanted. I finally passed it along to one of the models with whom I worked, when she started showing an interest in working behind the camera. All in all, it was a decent camera and served me well.

rayallen likes this.
  5. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Thanks for reviving this thread. As I said above, I was lucky enough to be given a 20D and I was quite pleased with the quality of the images it produces. Here are just a few of my favourites:
    _MG_0560.jpg

_MG_0593.jpg IMG_0139_PSCC.jpg

6. Billm67

Billm67 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7d
    Canon 40d
    I am a new member of the forum, but I have been shooting with Canon DSLR's since 2003. I had a book of 16x20's that I was looking at today. They were all images made with a Canon 10d and they are all quite good. There is lots of detail and the color rendition is very nice. They were all print more than 15 years ago on a wide carriage Epson photo printer. I have since moved on and I'm shooting with a 7d and a 40d. They are older cameras at this point but they produce fantastic images.

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Bill. I have a 10D but like a lot of older cameras it has fluffy ducked it's self, it now sits in a box with other cameras that I can not bear to throw out.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum Bill.

Gary

9. Victor Oscar

Victor Oscar New Member

Hi all

I recently came into possession of a Canon 20d and some lenses. The camera firmware says 1.1.0 I checked and I think the last firmware released was 2.0.3 Unsurprisingly the Canon website says 20d isn't supported anymore. Does anyone know where I can find an updated firmware version to download?

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    HI Victor, you can google and find a few "20d firmware" posts but I am not sure if the downloads work or not. I have the 20d, there really wasn't anything you got out of upgrading to v2.o.x that I can remember. V1.1.0 was one of the last stable releases before going to v2 if it is any consolation. I honesty would not try updating the firmware after all these years since you cant find downloads of firmware or even the EOS 1.0 utility and driver downloads that came on the CD.

I have a 20d, had it since spring of 2004, its a great little camera. Have fun shoot raw, dump the files on the computer using a CF card reader and enjoy. :) The more fun question here is what lenses did you come into possession of?

11. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Welcome to the forum Victor, I would like to know why do you need to upgrade the firmware, is there a issue with the camera, if the camera is working fine and the images come OK, it might not need an upgrade, I used my 10D without upgrading and never had issues with it, till I put a dodgy CF card in and now I have a problem with it. Out of this buy new CF cards they are still available

12. Victor Oscar

Victor Oscar New Member

Hi johnsey, I just assumed that the firmware updates would correct any issues and improve the functionality. Thanks for letting me know V1.1.0 was at least a later stable release and not just the original firmware. The camera only has 8000 shutter count so I'm hoping there is a bit of life in it yet.

As for the lenses I have a Canon 24mm f2.8 a Canon 50mm f1.4 a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG and a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

13. Victor Oscar

Victor Oscar New Member

Hi Craig, thanks for the welcome. I just thought updating the firmware might make some corrections and improve some functions. Although the camera seems to be working fine I ham having issues getting pin sharp focus but that may be down to my inexperience with the autofocus and the lenses. I also noticed a load of red and blue pixels throughout the image on long exposures (120 sec) although further investigation leads me to believe this might be corrected with a custom function setting plus I mistakenly shot these in jpeg rather than RAW.

Oh no, I just bought a used 4gb sandisk extreme CF card on ebay for it and stuck it in and took a couple of shots just to try it out last night...What was the problem with the CF card you used that gave you problems?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  14. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The 50mm and the 24-70 Sigma are some nice gems, not too familiar with the 24mm, I think they made that in both a EF-s and EF mount.
    The autofocus when these cameras came out is a bit more simplistic than the fancier systems today in cameras. Defiantly it can get sharp focus unless something is wrong with it (which i doubt given the low mileage on it.) It just may not hit focus perfect every time, I learned to live in center point focus and recompose if needed.

Victor Oscar likes this.
  15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I think it shorted out the contacts that go into the CF card, I tried a new CF card, downloaded new software but to no avail, it does not record any images.