Overpriced accessories

Discussion in 'Bags, Tripods, and Accessories' started by keith1955, Feb 5, 2023.

1. keith1955

keith1955 New Member

Equipment:
    canon 90d body , canon ef 50mm f/1.4 ideal for portrait and close up ,canon ef 50mm f/1.8 for general use , a canon 24 to 105 and a canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS MKII lens for wildlife and dolphin watching in Scotland , i also have a 1.4 extender for the 100 to 400
    Whilst i dont mind the cost of a camera body or a good quality lens i feel that a lot of the other stuff we need is over priced , have you paid for anything but felt as though you were being ripped off.

Here are 2 examples
    1..... i bought a tripod and wanted an extra shoe for a quick change over , it is a 40mm piece of hard plastic with a small screw thread and a D ring ..... £25 i did not buy it but emailed the company to ask how they could justify the price. The guy who replied gave a blow by blow account from it being made to me getting it. The email in my thunderbird inbox was so long i had to scroll it to read it all , it was obvious he was making fun of me.

2. I wanted a veiwfinder to fit over the camera screen , i saw 1 on amazon it is blue and is being marketed by about 6 different companies , all using the same photos but the price varies from £17 to over £50. The one i eventually got did indeed cost me £50 ( not the blue one ) , i bought it on the strength of recommendations , all i got for my £50 was a rubber cone with an eye piece and a chord on it .

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Keith, I usually buy second hand and a lot of stuff from China through Ebay. When you said tripod shoe, I know this as a accessory plate and paid 25 dollars. for two of them.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    40mm hard plastic? you sure thats not the alloy / aluminium one?
    is it this?
    s-l500.jpg

they around £6 on ebay in uk, (cheaper from china but it looks like you in the uk and its only £2 cheaper, saying that the speedpak stuff from china comes pretty quick) i usually get the 70mm, 100mm or longer, i have a ton of them, the 100mm ones are £7 on ebay from uk, these allow for some balancing being a bit longer, they also wont miss the clamps on longer pu clamps on different tipods with a longer clamp base, my 40mm ones are too short, hence 100mm or 70mm

i'd love to see that email

for sure there is alot of overpriced gear out there, you need to look around and see what different vendors and platforms are selling for.

the other thing you need to be very careful of is not buying the cheapest crap because that could cost you your camera or lens

i bought a neewer brand ef extension tube when i first started out, it had the electrics in it and it worked fine but what no one had ever said was cheap extension tubes can break apart under the weight of heavier lenses, well that is what this one done, i got super lucky and it broke while the camera and lens were on the table down loading images

so if alot of people tell you for a given item "oh you better off getting the genuine one" do some research, they might know from experience

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023