Photography as a gateway to lifelong success

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by dennis goodman, Apr 28, 2017.

1. dennis goodman

dennis goodman New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon Gear
    Canon 50D x 2
    Canon 5D
    70-200mm f 2.8
    24-70 f 2.8
    17-40 f4
    85 1.2
    50 1.4
    45m tilt shift
    600ex rt x 4
    ST ET RT x 2
    Canon 20D
    I am not sure what I like better. The art of photography or the science of the gear. Both have held my interest for over 20 years. I consider myself a creative photographer and the art of photography is my passion. I strive to make images that have emotion and feeling. Portraits, weddings, street, and landscape are my mainstay.

That being said I have an equal interest the equipment of photography. I can spend days on end thinking about the science or engineering involved in a concept. I find this a very cerebral process and very satisfying.

I have spent 20 years in education and my passion in retirement will be to spread this passion to inner city groups in the Chicago area. This will be an opportunity to teach art and science to a deserving group.

I look at some of my old equipment that I will never use. Equipment that I used not to many years ago to produce photos that I will have for a life time. Example my Canon 20D is still an excellent piece of equipment that I will never use again. It holds no resale value. So it will sit. I see so much camera equipment that has life left going to the bargain bins, and there they sit unused.

My goal in retirement will be to get this equipment into the hands of the undeserved. Hopefully this will spark interest in the art and the science of photography, and with the intent to be a gateway to higher education in art, math and science. The teaching potential here is only limited by imagination.

I will be looking into starting a nonprofit organization in the Chicago area in the near future.

I am asking this forum for input into this process.

When I reach the correct point I will be asking photographers to consider donations of functional equipment that will never be used.

Please help me make this project a reality.

Thank you

ND

pjv likes this.

2. pjv

pjv Guest

A very noble goal Dennis. Best of luck to you to get it up and running.;)

3. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D - 50mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4, 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    It would be cool if the organization would hold photo sessions. Where everyone gets a camera that is donated to use for the day. Teachers would take the students out to take pictures and then back into a classroom to upload and view the photos afterwards.