Pixelated pictures

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Janeth, Jul 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Janeth

Janeth New Member

Hi all, I am pretty new to photography. I used to use a D5100 and am now using a rebel t7. I am stumped at something that happened when I switched. I take pictures of cars. When I take pictures of the outside of the cars about 3-4 yards away and upload them the pictures are really pixelated. But when I zoom in the pictures are not pixelated. What does this mean and how do I fix it? The last camera I had never did this.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Janeth, It would help to know some other details.
    The camera switch and the distance from object none of that should have a direct effect on how pixelated it is.
    ISO would introduce noise witch would show pixels more pronounce when you are zoomed in, that doesn't sound like your issue.
    When you say you zoom in, where are you zooming in and not seeing pixelation?
    When you upload, where are you uploading that is producing a pixelated image.
    Are you shooting raw or jpg?

3. Janeth

Janeth New Member

Thank you for quick reply. I am zooming in when I am editing, I use a combination of the Digital Photo Professional Canon Software and the basic picture editing software that comes with Windows, and both are always pixelated when the picture is normal but when I zoom in its not pixelated. I am currently using raw because it looked like it helped a little bit with quality of the picture. However, when I was using JPG it had the same problem, just a little worse.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I have not used what photo software that you are using that came with windows, so I cant speak to any experience there. I imagine that since you are talking about just how the image is displayed in the software depending on how it is being viewed, that it is a rendering issue by your computer. I have seen examples of this when I have placed a large image file into a image viewer and it did not do a great job of rendering it. If the output is not the problem then it is all on the computer rendering it on screen that is the issue.
    When you show the image as fully displayed on the screen your image is probably 15% of its total size, now you would never want to print it at 100% and see the pixels, but also keep in mind that your screen is only 2 megapixels in size and you jumped from 16mp to 24 so you have half again as much info in that newer file that is being displayed on the same amount of screen space.

I don't know much about your workflow, but... Shooting raw is a good idea and if your going to edit on your computer with those programs I suggest exporting to TIFF at full size and set printing size to 300 dpi, what ever that comes to inches wise. This is an uncompressed format and will be large files. When you are ready to upload or send a smaller file to print save an extra jpg that is compressed and sized to your exact needs, for example 300dpi 5x7 for printing, or a image you resize to post on the web.

upload_2020-7-21_10-5-20.png

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

If I am understanding the problem that you are explaining correctly. I can't say what it is directly. I can't say that I have heard of anything like it before. I would have it as a stab in the dark that it is a software problem. The first thing that I would do is see if there are any software updates for the Digital Professional Canon Software, and install them. I don't use this software personally. With your Windows picture editing software, again, are there any Windows updates that need to be done?

Let us know how you get on.

Gary

6. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Just as an add on to the above, Try downloading and using Faststone Image Viewer. It renders at lightning speed to display on your PC screen and has some really good editing features. It's free so give it a try. There's a good Youtube video on how to use it. If it's OK then you can give the Windows program the flick! :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR
    Another reason for blurry photos is the shutter speed is below 1/60th of a second. When hand holding this can cause blurry shots because the shutter speed is too slow, so always make sure when you half-press the shutter button that you take note of what your shutter speed is.

You can always leverage repair software to fix your photo errors. You can use Photoshop or repair tools like Stellar which can fix your perfectly captured image.

8. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Hi. Did an y of the above advice remedy your pixilation problem. We would all like to know, and further help if you are still having problems.

9. Samy

Samy New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90D
    There could be many possible reasons for such problems, maybe the reason for blurry photos could be the shutter speed is below 1/60th of a second.
    I would suggest checking for any software updates from Canon or you can use repair software to fix your photo errors. You can use Photoshop or repair tools like Stellar which can fix your perfectly captured image.