Possible loss of sharpness on Canon 100-400

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Cporosus1, May 1, 2020.

1. Cporosus1

Cporosus1 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400
    Hello everyone,

I have a question to ask- is it possible for a lens (in my case, the Canon 100-400) to lose sharpness? I have been using this lens since 2008 (it is the "dust pump" model not the newer one) and I have traveled all over the world with it (Australia, Belize, Brazil, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, etc. some multiple times). Despite a few superficial blemishes from years of wear, there does not appear to be anything mechanically wrong with it. However, over the last couple of years, I've noticed it just doesnt "nail" some of the shots that it would have before. It seems I need to be almost entirely still to get a sharp wildlife shot, whereas before I could be moving or on a boat, etc. and still get the shot. Should I give up and get a new lens or do you think a cleaning may help? Can accumulation of dust inside the lens cause this? I don't think it is the camera itself. I have a Canon 7D Mark II and I purchased it much more recently (November 2016) and my smaller lens doesn't have the same problem.

Thanks!

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hello, without see any photos or what setting you used I would suggest placing the camera and lens on a tripod and take a few photos and see if they turn out ok. Next using a higher ISO and higher Shutter speed when not using a tripod.
    Try testing the lens out before investing in a new one.

3. ThomasDelaney

ThomasDelaney New Member

Equipment:
    EOS R, G7X II, EOS M50
  4. Cporosus1

Cporosus1 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400
    Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. Here are some photos of my settings. Also attached a recent snake closeup...it looks fine but its not tack sharp. Settings were- f/14, 1/640 sec., iso400, 100-400mm lens Does everything look right for wildlife?

Attached Files: