Post your panoramic shots...here's mine. Mt. San Gorgonio from Moreno Valley, California.

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by porkphoto, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I use PC, never used a MAC. I would assume the program would be the same basically with a few differences in the function keys.

2. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    In my collection of cameras I have also a D70, and a few lens to suit the camera.
    I drag it out every so often, usually for my students to have a play with.

Tonytee likes this.
  3. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Since upgrading my computer a few years ago, I now have Windows Photos, FastStoneImageViewer, PT Photo Editor and Olympusviewer version 3. I will look into Gimp. Many thanks to you, young man. :) Tony

4. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Hi Craig, do you have a Mac or Windows PC?

5. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Hi Craig, do you have a PC or Mac?

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Try dropping him a PM.

Gary

7. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    It's ok Gary, he doesn't have to answer. I was going to help him out but it doesn't matter.

8. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    PC,

9. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Hey Craig. Good panorama with the snow on Mt. Wellington. I noticed that there's a couple of things I can help with, both with panorama photography and the stitching process.

To increase the chances of getting good results, make sure you have the same camera settings in MANUAL Mode (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, and focus) for every image you want included in the panorama.

Try a great FREE program from the Microsoft Research team call "Image Composite Editor". I've used it for many years and I have not found it's rival as yet. I'm a Photoshop Master and I don't use the stitching part of Photoshop. Have a look HERE for the video and download.

After stitching, as in your image, I find that straightening the obvious curved lines that panoramas produce, can sometimes help make the image look more natural - but not always of course. Your image is a good candidate for the straightening process, using the "Warp Tool" and some cloning.
    Also balancing the light evenly across the image helps with the appearance. By that I mean try and get the shadows similar and sky colour if possible, but remember the light can be different from one side to the other. This is achievable using "Gradient Masks" to get it looking great.

I hope this is all helpful for yourself and other members.

Below, I've colour corrected your image and straightened the curves. You'll notice a marked improvement in the general balance and colours:
    Mt.Wellington_Panorama-E.jpg

GDN likes this.
  10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

All good information there. The only other thing I could add is either make sure you have lens correction in camera, or with your software. I know with a few of my first stitched images, each image had a little vignetting. So when I stitched the images, I got light and dark areas.

Gary

11. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Good point Gary. It's always good to use decent lenses which have better control of vignetting. Have you used the I.C.E. program?

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Thanks for the advice ISAC, the image was taken with my Canon 1D mark 3 and a Soligor 28mm lens and M42 to EOS mount and a circular polorizer, the camera was used in manual and the lens was focused using the live view screen, magnifying the image 10+ to get sharp focus.
    Two images were taken, I don't know what is causing issues in the stitching process in Photoshop when I use photomerge, I seem to be getting some areas that have issue, clouds a bit out of focus, areas where colour is out etc. This has append on a few stitched images.
    It might be time to try another piece of software, I shall have a look at "Image Composite Editor.

13. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    This has been a issue that repeats it self on quite a few stitched images in Photoshop17. 18.and 19. I have all three, I don't have 20 as it needs windows 10 which I dislike.
    My procedure for stiching images together is go into Photomerge, click auto on the layout, I place a tick in the boxes beside vignette removal, geometric removal, content aware fill transparent areas.
    All images are taken with a tripod.

14. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Yes I have used MS ICE. Of late I have been using Elements to do my stitching. But I have had no problems with using the MS program.

Gary

15. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    I have Windows10-PRO and it's really good IMHO. You can still upgrade FREE if you want it. You'll have to sooner or later, it's security is very good as well. So many better extras than Win-7.

16. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    I used the PS one once and was a bit disappointed. Let's know how you get on with I.C.E.

17. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    With no direct sun.

Untitled_Panorama15.jpg

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  18. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Nice image Gary, reminds me of the central plateau here in Tasmania

19. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I have downloaded a copy of I.C.E and find it much simpler to use, so I have given a copy to all my students, the results are excellent.

20. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    That's good new Craig. I guess I'm good for something :)