Problem with Canon EF 2x III Extender

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by fiona, Oct 25, 2018.

1. fiona

fiona New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D -X Mark II
    Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
    Canon EF 2x III Extender
    Canon Extension Tube EF25 II
    I have just purchased a Canon EF 2x III Extender to use with a Canon EOS 1DX Mk II and a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, which I believe should both be compatible. The lens and camera work perfectly without the extender added. However when I add the extender and then look in the viewfinder, all you can see is a circular image (which moves) surrounded by black. It is possible to take photos and video (which appear to be the normal 4:3 ratio), although the photos all seem to be drastically overexposed. I have updated the firmware on the camera and cleaned the sensors but there is no difference. The Extender is 2nd hand but sold in excellent condition. I would have assumed it was a faulty item but I also purchased a Canon Extension Tube EF25 II at the same time and have exactly the same problem when this is fitted to the body and lens. Can anyone help? I am hoping that there will be a simple solution and maybe I just need to change a setting on the camera??? Thank you...

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I don't believe there is a setting on the camera. Quick question If remember it says to attach to the lens then attach to the camera did you do that in this order? Maybe if done in the other order the lens/camera communication is broken. it sounds like your lens is stopped all the way open and your essentially exposing for the opening of the extender.

3. fiona

fiona New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D -X Mark II
    Canon EF 2x III Extender
    Hello Johnsey. Thanks for your reply. We are adding the extender to the lens first and then attaching to the camera. Not sure what else could be the problem.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Have you used the extender and extension tube with any other lenses? Being both have an issue I would think the issue resides in the lens.

5. fiona

fiona New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D -X Mark II
    Canon EF 2x III Extender
    We don't have a spare lens with us but should be able to get access to one over the next few days. I will try it and post an update. It will be a shame if this is the case as the 300mm lens is brand new. Many thanks once again.

6. fiona

fiona New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1D -X Mark II
    Canon EF 2x III Extender
    We finally managed to try the extender with another lens and had exactly the same problem. However we then borrowed another Canon 1D body and it worked perfectly! So the issue is clearly with the Canon 1DX ii body, rather than the lens. The camera body works perfectly with the 300mm f2.8 lens but then we found the same problem when trying another lens. We redid the firmware update again but the problem persists. Not sure what to do now as I will be leaving everything with my business partner in Vic Falls, Zimbabwe...where there isn't a service or repair center. But at least we have narrowed down the problem to the camera body. Thanks for taking the time to help.

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    Well it a newer camera body, I would reach out to canon at this point since you know that it is with the body and see what they say.