Problem With Canon EF-S 18~55mm Lens, refurbished.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    This past January I purchased a Canon EOS t5 body with the Canon EF-S 18~55mm Lens along with a Canon EF-S 55~250mm IS II Lens.

I decided to try the new camera with the kit lens in low light conditions. I was surprised to discover that no matter what I did, I could not get a properly exposed image. (All underexposed). I then swapped out the kit lens for the Canon 55~250mm lens and every shot was perfect. I did contact Canon and they advised me to return it so they can analyze the lens and then inform me of what is going on. Three cheers for Canon they immediately emailed a shipping label for me to return it via UPS. They did inform me yesterday that the lens had been received and will keep me up to snuff on what they find. By the way, all of the equipment is refurbished. Tony

2. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D - 50mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4, 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    How does it look through the viewfinder? My gut feeling is that the aperture blades might be malfunctioning.

Thomas likes this.
  3. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Yes, that is one area I neglected to mention. During my experiment I even tried moving to within five feet of my subject. No luck. Then I decided to keep an eye on how the light beam strikes the subject and unfortunately it was a very weak beam of light. Totally different when using the Canon EF-S 55~250 IS II lens. Thanks for your question. I believe if the aperture blades were not functioning properly, then my outdoor shots would also have a problem and they do not. I should hear from Canon by this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Tony

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Not necessarily, without details on example images i wouldn't rule it out, low light is going to be less forgiving on exposure being off a few stops vs outdoors in a much brighter light. With your zoom you probably are cropped in close on more consistent lighting, the combination of some uneven light, the wider lens, and the meter mode used could result in underexposure and the low light could have exaggerated it.

That said it sound like it may be malfunctioning.

5. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    I see what you are saying. I can upload an example now.

TT IMG_0320.JPG

6. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    When using the kit lens in low light conditions, the beam emitted by the onboard flash was very weak. As opposed to a bright beam when using the telephoto lens. Other than downsizing, this image has not been adjusted.

Thnx,

Tony

Thomas likes this.