Problem with importing to my IMac

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Aranka, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Aranka

Aranka New Member

I have bought myself a Canon G1 X Mark iii.

However when trying to import my photos to my Imac, I get the message that "These pictures can't be imported because they cannot be read or because the destination folder is not recognized" or something like this (not the exact words).
    I can see that some pictures are imported, maybe 10% (maybe 26 of the 260).

- This happened when trying to import with LightRoom, which I always do.
    - I tried with "Photos" as well, and for a brief moment I see my pictures on the scree but they disappear immediately.
    - In Finder my camera is not coming up as a device.

This is my first transfer, and I am a bit worried - was this camera the wrong choice?
    So far I had a Canon S120 and never had this (or any) problem.

- Is my Mac too old? OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan Mid 2007
    - Do need to use a special transfert cable? This wasn't included with my camera so I used any cable (I think it came with my phone)
    - A card wasn't included with the camera so I used the one I got for my S120 - it will be 5 years old.

Please can someone help because I have no one to ask this to.

Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Congrats on the nice upgrade and being able to shoot raw and make the most of lightroom. It could be a a number of issues or a combination. The card is old and could be giving issues. You should as a general rule reformat in any new camera to start with a fresh filesystem on the card from the camera. SD Cards are dirt cheap so I would not hesitate to get a new one anyway.

The OS should not be an issue, That version is 2years old and your light-room is likely newer as well. These should pair with the newer G1X. If you have a 2007 IMac you are probably pushing the limits of what the computer can handle so it probably is not the most snappy computer anymore.

If I had to guess I think its an issue with formatting on the card, it may work fine after a reformat. You can try picking up a card reader and transfer the files directly to the computer, I have done that for years. I have used the canon software to transfer as well. You will find the manufacturer likes to use their own software and drivers to connect to the devices, so it will not just show up as a device when connected.

3. Aranka

Aranka New Member

Hi Johnsey

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
    The thing is before taking out the card out of the S120 I have formatted it.
    So I guess that means this is not the issue?
    I will buy a new card, but that will take time, I wish I could be sure that it all works fine sooner than that...

I forgot to mention that I tried a cardreader as well, but nothing happened at all - the cardreader did not even show up in Finder. The cardreader is 5 years old too, just like my S120.
    I will buy a new one too, but again that will take time.

I don't understand what you mean with your last sentence about canon software and drivers to connect to devices. Not sure what this is?

Can I use any cable between the camera and the mac, meaning does it have to be made for Canon?

Thanks again.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Card reader is probably
    You should format the card with the new camera, formatting with the old one is putting the s120 formatting on it which your much newer camera may not like.
    Car reader i am sure is fine, I would spend the $20 on a new SD card before a new reader. The USB cord should not be an issue for connecting the camera. Unless you damaged the cord.

I don't use these cameras but each camera these make is sent with a CD that installs the proper software to communicate with that camera. With the DSLRs I use it is the EOS Utility, with your camera I am guessing it is the one called CameraWindowDC. The page for the camera downloads is here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...ras/advanced-cameras/powershot-g1-x-mark-iii/

Ok link is not loading the right camera, but you can search yours easy and click on downloads.

5. Aranka

Aranka New Member

Hi Johnsey,
    This really useful. This explains why also the cardreader didn't work.
    I guess I should have know this myself, but I didn't
    I will try to import the pictures with the S120. I would rather not lose them.
    After this I will format the card on my G1x and take new pictures.
    But first I will look into the software. I didn't come with a cd. I now see that you can download it. For the S120 I didn't have to download any software that's probably why I never thought of this.
    Thanks a lot.
    I will let you know how this goes.

6. Aranka

Aranka New Member

I feel very frustrated, as nothing seems to work!
    I formatted the card in the new C1x - I knew that this would destroy all of my pics but was desperate to get this going.
    I installed the software, which is called CameraWindow. I can see it sitting in the panel/toolbar of my Imac. I also made sure that my OS is compatible.
    I then made 1 picture, and connected the camera to the computer with the cord.
    However CameraWindow says: no camera found.
    Lightroom, which I usually use for importing, doesn't seem to find a "source".

I feel like ditching this camera.

7. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    have you tried connecting with wireless? i looked at the spec for the camera mentioned i think it has wireless
    i have 2013 mac book pro and just use wireless with my M50
    only problem i had was lack or knowledge on my part, i needed to select the correct location for the pics to go in.
    i take it for granted you have looked on google for mac connecting

8. johnsey

Equipment:
    I would not ditch the camera, the camera is likely not the issue. Did you pick it up new or used?

When you are trying to transfer images the camera should likely say that its connected or transferring. So if the camera and computer both do not acknowledge that they are connected I would imagine its something with the process or connection type.
    Looks like the original link and manual i looked at was for the earlier G1X, that one showed you pressing the play button on camera before it made a connection. I did not see that for this XIII model, there is a lot to look at there but your camera should also be indicating connection, if it isn't there is something else going on with the process.
    Looks like there a a number of steps for physical connection and wireless. let us know what you find, and maybe we can dig into this connection process.
    Found the manual here: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300028632/01/psg1x-mk3-cu-en.pdf

9. Aranka

Aranka New Member

Thanks.
    The camera is brandnew, purchased here in the UK.
    I now have problems with my Mac, I am not able to restart anymore.
    This came after installing the camera software.
    It looks like everythings is lost.
    I'll let you know when I know more.

10. johnsey

Equipment:
    Well I really doubt the software impacted the ability to restart the computer. You are running a 13 year old system, the hard drive if it is original is amazing it lasted so long, most standard hard drives have shelf life of about 6 years regular use. Come to think of it could very likely be that your USB port is crapping out as well given the age of the computer, maybe that is why the computer is not seeing the camera.

11. Aranka

Aranka New Member

I don't think that software is the cause, but the crash happened after installing it. I just want to make sure that I am not blaming the software, but the age of the mac.
    I should have replaced the mac much sooner. I never realised this.
    Not sure if my Mac will ever work again, I had a backup disk hanging on it, but no extra backup. It doesn't want to start.
    I am very worried.