Problem with my Canon EOS 80D shutting down.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Greetings,

Yesterday we finally caught a break with the inclement weather doldrums and I went out to take advantage of it. I brought my Canon EOS 80D body with the Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM Lens. Now just prior to leaving the house I checked the power level of my OEM Canon Li-ion battery and it revealed there was 85% power remaining. After taking only approximately 10 shots, the camera shut down on me. I could not turn it on or off, could not fire the shutter or anything else, I mean it was dead. Fortunately I brought two spare batteries with me, and replaced the Canon battery with a non Canon battery and everything proceeded to work flawlessly the rest of the day. Now when I arrived home, (before downloading images) I inserted the OEM Canon battery in the 80D and the camera powered up with no problem. I then checked the Battery Status in the Menu and it revealed a level of 78% remaining juice. I then went ahead and re-charged all three batteries to full power levels. I am still in a quandary as to why the camera/battery failure occurred.

Many thanks for any suggestions and helpful hints.

Regards, Tony

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Other than dirty connections, I can't think of anything else.

Gary

Tonytee likes this.
  3. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Here is the response from CanonUSA.
    Dear Tony Tarquinio,

Thank you for contacting Canon. My name is Mario and I am happy to assist you with your EOS 80D today.

I'm sorry to hear the camera stopped responding so shortly after you began shooting, that is certainly strange. Luckily since replacing the battery resolved the issue it is likely that the camera may have just had a processing malfunction which could be a one-time occurrence brought on by an electrical interruption. However if you notice the camera behaves this way more frequently please let us know and we will advise you on how best to have the camera examined by a service technician.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Sincerely,
    Mario