R3 Freezes - "Fixed" by Canon - Problem Persists

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by DelawareCanonShooter, Jan 15, 2022.

1. DelawareCanonShooter

DelawareCanonShooter New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R3
    Canon EOS R5
    Canon 5D Mark IV
    Canon 7D
    Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
    Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
    Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
    Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
    Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens
    Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
    Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM
    Preordered the R3 and patiently awaited its arrival. It arrived on time and, wow, what a camera. However, within the first week, I experienced two instances where it froze. No button or dial would respond, however the touch screen still worked. Of course it takes a 'button' to turn it off, so a battery pull is needed to shut it down and then it works again until it freezes. Before anyone asks, it was all Canon gear, R lens included. Different lens were tried, different memory cards, different batteries, etc. What makes it happen is simply having it on for a period of time. You don't even have to be doing anything. So it was still within the period where I could return it to Canon and get another if I chose, but instead, since I had CPS Platinum, giving me an ultrafast turn-around, I opted for Canon repair. They replicated the issue in the shop, fortunately. They reinstalled the firmware and claimed the problem would not replicate. OK, we'll see. I've used it everyday this week with no problem, but all my uses were turn it on, use it for 10 minutes or so, and turn it off. Today I went out for an extended photowalk. I took a break for coffee and a review of the images. So the camera was on from earlier and on for an extended period while reviewing images. I took a break for a minute and when I picked the camera up, boom, frozen again. I was doing absolutely nothing aside from having the camera on. The attached screen shot tells the story. Note the position of the power button, i.e. "OFF" and yet still a picture on the screen. Twice more during the walk, the camera was left on and went to sleep. Twice when I went to wake it up and use it, total black. It would not respond to anything other than a battery pull. So it seems in their haste to do a fast turnaround, they didn't fix the problem. Freezing up seems to affect all recent Canon cameras in the R series, as I read the various forums. Has anyone else experienced this issue and, better yet, had a satisfactory resolution?

Attached Files: