Record Laptop Screen from Camera

Discussion in 'HDSLRs and Video' started by Anil, May 9, 2020.

1. Anil

Anil New Member

Equipment:
    Action Camera
    Hi Friends

Please guide me how I will capture/record the Laptop Screen. Actually, I want to monitor the activities on the Laptop screen. I dont want to use the Screen Capture Software.

Which is the best camera for this purpose. Either I buy the Cannon or Action Camera such as (GoPro Hero 8 or another camera) that give me perfect and smooth result.

Note: I want to capture/record the Laptop screen from very close to Laptop screen.

Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Recording video of a screen will introduce flickering from monitor refresh rates and moire'. https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/5-tips-for-shooting-digital-screens/ Give that article a scan and follow the links, the laptop will help make it easier. And if you soften the focus a bit that will help with moire'. The thing I focused on was "really close to screen" .... This indicated you will want to pick up a macro lens for the camera, you have a variety of options for macro on a DSLR so that would be a good reason to pick it.

3. Anil

Anil New Member

Equipment:
    Action Camera
    Hi Johnsey

Would you guide me which Brand is best for MACRO LENS and their camera. I have engough budget from 1000$ to 3000$.

Thanks

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well you will find on the forums we own canon, but bias aside, but there is not one best brand of camera or best brand macro lens. In fact the people who review lenses and cameras for a living have different opinions on the same gear.
    In your price range for a DSLR you would be looking at Canon/Sony/Pentax/Nikon...

I can tell you I have the older canon 100mm 2.8 macro and I think its a great lens, i think they can be grabbed for $500 nowadays. They were replaced by an L version which is canon's more profession grade designation and that is $900 and has image stabilization, this would be a very nice macro lens. Company's like sigma make good lenses for many camera brands and mounts if you want to compare reviews of their lenses. If it was me I would at least go up a few steps from the entry level so that you have more manual control and extra features for video such as external audio, a wider range of frame rates at both HD and 4k, and log profiles are nice if you really get into video. You can get a good camera with decent video features for 1000-1500 bucks and a good macro for 500-100, so you can easily come in under your budget.

How much research have you put into the setup you want to have, and why do you not want to do desktop recording software? Seems like a decent amount to invest for a specific use case.

5. INVUJerry

INVUJerry New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II
    Canon M3 w/18/55 kit lens
    Viltrox speedbooster EF adapter
    Canon EF 50MM F1.8
    Hoage F mount adapter
    1960's Nikon lenses
    Nikkor 28MM F2.8
    Nikkor 50MM F1.4
    Nikkor 135MM F3.5
    I know this is a 3+ year old thread I'm about to bump, but for help in videoing screens...

If you match the refresh rate with your camera, you should be fine. This is how many "vintage gear" Youtubers film their old school analog TV's. Many times, making sure you use a 1/60 shutter rate will do the trick. Just like when you film under LED lights at home. If you don't have the correct shutter rate, you'll often see black banners in your footage.