Reduce the distance for the eye sensor to detect

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by Helder Costa, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Eos r5, eos 90d, ef 16 35 f4l is usm, ef 100 f2.8l macro is usm, ef 50 f1.8 stm, ef 70 300 f4-5.6 is usm ii, efs 18 135 f3.5-5.6 is usm, speedlite 600 ex II rt
    Hi there 1st post here. I bought an r5 a few days back, my first dslm and I m having some kind of an infuriating experience having the camera resting on my belly with the strap around the neck, like I always did with dslrs. And thats due to the distance the sensor detects the fabric of my clothes, its always switching between screen (q menu as I have it) and viewfinder. No one will ever shoot with the viewfinder so far away from the eye, it activates way too far away, and unnecessarly draining the already poor battery lasting. Switching camera on and off isnt properly what I intend to do, because I need to be ready to shoot anytime, and if it wasnt enough, we are advised to keep the lens cap on when camera is off, wich means if I switch camera off for belly resting I ll loose shots. Im also always metering the light as location and light changes, so camera needs to be on. If you care please adress that, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Helder. Johnsey may well be your best one to make an inquiry to as he is experienced in this area.

3. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Eos r5, eos 90d, ef 16 35 f4l is usm, ef 100 f2.8l macro is usm, ef 50 f1.8 stm, ef 70 300 f4-5.6 is usm ii, efs 18 135 f3.5-5.6 is usm, speedlite 600 ex II rt
    Thanks for your support. Im not used to post on forums can you please tell me how can I do that inquiry to Johnsey? Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Helder, Johnsey is the Site Moderate and regularly checks the activity on the forum. He usually picks up on questions like yours, at a guess it may take a little while being the holiday season. If you have not heard from him in a few days, second option is to click on members ( it is in the headings that say "forum photos members donate", you will find his name and his position on the forum. click on his image and a window will come up, write message, write your request for information and click post .
    Still having problems get back to me and I shall see what i can find on youtube.
    Next thing to do is do you have a manual for the camera, if not type in the camera's details/ manual in Google, you should be able to download a copy for free, again any problems get back to me, all the best with it , regards Craig.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  5. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Craig, i'll do it. Anything I get back to you. Once again, apreciate your help, thanks a lot.

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Good Morning,
    Its not hard to get ahold of me, you can send a direct message if you like, but I unusually scan the posts daily so I eventually see them.
    I don't own an R series camera so I had to dig into the manual a bit, do you have your manual?
    I found a few pages that may help you to varied degrees of what you would like to see happen, Seems like the key is that the camera keeps switching modes of your preferred method of shooting which is always on always ready. There was mention in the first R camera of disabling auto switching mode but seems that they started handling a bit different.

Setting display to always screen is an option...
    upload_2022-1-4_9-39-17.png

Possibly paired with Eco mode for power savings,
    upload_2022-1-4_9-40-12.png

Starting on page 826 is the custom button section, you could maybe set up the custom buttons to aide in your setup, for example, if you set the normal mode to be always screen then add a custom button for switching to viewfinder when you need it. It may take some playing with different options to get what you want for behavior.
    upload_2022-1-4_9-41-1.png

7. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Hi Johnsey nice to talk to you and I apreciate your help. I appologise for such a long post, but I really want to improve my experience. Yes I have the manual and I always tried everything you sugest, but neither method pleases me. I made a thread on reddit and for the looks of it and after some research on google there are more people that find this to get in the way of our experience. Here are the problems I encoutered: the eco and even sleeping mode doesnt work because the camera keeps the eyepiece sensor active and the issue keeps happening. The switch between screen and vf method is the one I use sometimes because I get annoyed by the camera behaviour, and excuse my expression but its what I feel, but it also has some disconforts, 1st a tendency I dont apreciate much from milcs is the lack of buttons in favor of the m fn, wich forces you to scroll options from a menu instead of quick acess to settings you want. Aside from the iso dial, I find dslrs ergonomics much better with drive, af and metering dedicated buttons, and designating a button for switching screen/vf occupies one precious button, also having to press a button everytime I want to shoot with the camera on my face and then again when resting it or symply want to acess the q menu or review an image isnt properly workflow friendly. The lack of buttons I was aware of but, although not very happily, accepted it, but I wasnt aware of this behaviour when I bought the camera so I feel like a little disapointed by the experience, and since Im not alone I would like, if possible, to let canon know and see if they can find a way to offer a solution. My guess is, if the eye sensor didnt detect things so far away from the eyepiece, that could solve the question, after all no one will ever shoot with the evf when it is so far away, and this way it woudnt detect the fabric of clothes. Thanks for the pacience to read this huge text

8. KiloHotelphoto

KiloHotelphoto Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    R5, R3, RF600/F4 IS, RF100-500, RF 100 2.8, RF24-105 F4, RF50 1.8, RF1.4TC, RF2X TC,
    I have my R5's set up so after they go to sleep I have to press a button to activate them, typically I half press the shutter as I'm raising it up if I'm not shooting on a tripod or as I lean into the body if shooting on a tripod.

If you want to switch between the EVF and the rear LCD screen just hit the info button.

Not sure what your problem with the Q button or image review button is, they are exactly the same as on every Canon DSLR or MILC I've owned.

Helder Costa likes this.
  9. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I can see the concern and frustration you have, and I wish I could help from experience, but I don't own an R series camera to relate to so I was only able to suggest from the setup available. It does sound KILO has the R5 and has not had issue with it waking up so easily as he has to use a button to wake it up.
    I do think that if you and the many others on reddit are experiencing such a design flaw issue it is something you need to bring to canon directly. Maybe use their official community troubleshooting forums.... https://community.usa.canon.com/ Likely this is something they can address through firmware.

Helder Costa likes this.
  10. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks a lot. Didnt know about that troubleshooting community.

11. Helder Costa

Helder Costa New Member

Equipment:
    Hi there. Thanks for your reply. No problems with q or review buttons you misunderstsood my point , also be aware that english isnt my native language... anyway doesnt please me having a button designed just for that but either way how are you able to put the camera in sleep without it switching to evf with the eye sensor? That sounds like a better option but I still didnt figure out how to do that, when I put the camera to sleep the eyepiece sensor remains active and when I rest it to my body it still activates the evf. Thanks if you can clarify me.

12. KiloHotelphoto

KiloHotelphoto Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    R5, R3, RF600/F4 IS, RF100-500, RF 100 2.8, RF24-105 F4, RF50 1.8, RF1.4TC, RF2X TC,
    I set mine up a while ago so I'm not exactly sure what you need to set but I think it's in the Yellow Wrench menu page 2 Power Saving, I have it set at 15 sec.

I also have Continuous AF disabled in the AF menu page 1. And in the Red Camera menu I have metering timer set for 8 sec.
    Try these settings and see if they work, I think its the first one the power saving is the one you're looking for.