RF 14-35mm F4 L IS USM on EOS R6

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by Bruce, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Equipment:
    cannon EOS R6/14-35mm F4 L IS USM
    Good afternoon forum people, I am new to this forum and recently purchased the above titled camera and lens from cannon. Previously I have been using the EOS 90D with the 11-20 wide angle lens for real estate photography. Upon taking pics with the new R6 and 14-35 lens, shooting in both raw and JPG, I noticed a great deal of barrel distortion on the RAW file, but the corresponding JPG image was almost perfectly aligned with negligible barrel distortion. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is there a setting I am missing? I was able to correct the distortion in Lightroom lens settings somewhat, but the outcome of the RAW image was still worse than the JPG. Please let me know if anyone has any insight on this, would be greatly appreciated!

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome Bruce, this a bit technically advanced for me but my I suggest you seek out Johnsey as this is his area of expertise.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Bruce,

It sounds as if you have in body lens distortion turned on.

Gary

4. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks for the tip, when I go to the lens distortion tab, the lens distortion option is"grayed out" and will not let me select any option.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Just out of curiosity, is the latest firmware installed on your camera?

Gary

6. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you for responding, I am on firmware version 1.3.1, the lens is version 1.0.2

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    There looks to be a newer firmware version out there, 1.4.0.

What I would look at doing is upgrading your camera to this version, and see if this resolves your issue. Just follow the instructions to the letter, and use a fully charges battery. Let us know how you get on.

Gary

8. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Gary,
    I updated the camera to the 1.4.0. Took some doing but I figured it out and ran the update. Unfortunately, there is no change in the results. JPG's have tack straight verticals right out of camera with no edit needed, and the RAW files look like I took them shooting through a wine barrel. I am wondering if there is a software update fro the lens itself, the "distortion correction" tab still indicates distortion correction "not available for this lens". I'm stumped. I emailed cannon support but no reply so far. Thank you for your assistance it means allot that someone cares!

Bruce

9. Bruce

Bruce New Member

Equipment:
    More info: Heard back from Cannon Support, they indicate that the correction data for the lens is not out yet, therefore the RAW files will be distorted and JPGs (since there is some camera correction built in) will look better. Nystery solved for now, it is a waiting game for cannon to issue correction data to fit the problem. Thanks to everyone for the assistance, I will let you know when the fix comes and if it works.