Setting lens to infinity

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by john_1968, Aug 22, 2021.

1. john_1968

john_1968 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1300d with kit lenses of 18-55 mm and telephoto lenses 75 -300 mm. also using the nifty 50. Also just added the 10 - 18 mm canon lens to my collection. now have the 28mm to 90mm lens
    Hi everyone been a while since i last posted and after some more advice on infinity settings. It will be the dark nights again in the uk soon and I'm hoping to get out and photograph the northern lights ( aka aurora ) as and when they show up . I'm pretty crap at manual focusing so you can guarantee the pics will be out of focus. Am i best trying to set the lens up in the day time by focusing on a distant object and marking the lens for when i use it at night or any other suggestions and help will be grateful of many thanks john

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    with the M50 it pretty much does a great job auto focusing on the stars moon and jupiter.
    depending if you have it on your camera try x10 magnification to set the focus, cranking up the iso to set focus might help then turn it back down for the image.
    there is a lens filter called a bahtinov mask which is a focusing aid for stars,

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Does your camera auto focus on the moon? If it does, can you focus on that, and then turn off autofocus. Just don't touch the focusing ring. I don't know how easy that would be.

Gary