Simple Question Please

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by ThomasJ, Feb 10, 2023.

1. ThomasJ

ThomasJ New Member

Equipment:
    Canon50D- EF300mm F4 IS
    Not a beginner really but been away from shooting for quite some time so I haven't been up on the latest Canon stuff. My question is I have a Canon 50D purchased when they first came out many yrs ago and haven't used it in a few yrs. I usually only use it with an EF 300mm F4L IS lens but now that I want to start using the camera again I find out that it needs a new shutter but also found out that you can't get that shutter anymore so the camera is useless I guess. Anyway my question is what up to date camera can I buy that I will be able to use that lens on? Would it be mirror or mirrorless? Thanks for any replies. :)

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The upside is EF mount will work on pretty much anything, but may need be adapted. A DSLR either full frame or crop sensor will work good without an adapter. You can use an adapter on the mirror-less cameras to mount the lens, I would recommend going with an R series if you go mirror-less as the RF mount appears to be the future.

I think the choice may partially be about how much you want to invest, the latest and greatest are in the R cameras but will also start you on a path of RF lenses.

ON the flip side you can get great deals on a 5-10 year old camera body with low miles to replace that 50d. Maybe you want to get a 70d or 5d mark whatever.? .. You have a lot of options used, and there is a huge market of more EF lenses out there and it should grow as people sell to invest in the newest RF stuff. Lenses are timeless and usually last the life of the owner, and i don't think you need to spend top money on the newest camera body, I still get plenty of mileage on my old 5dm2 and i have two newer 5d bodies after that.

ThomasJ likes this.
  3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Thomas. I also had a 50D and it suffered a similar problem, the purchase of another camera comes down to how deep are your pockets, may I suggest you start at a cheaper camera and look at a 60D, these are about 300 dollars Australian. and as you get closer to the latest model the price increases.
    I suggested the 60D as this model has video this is pretty cool. As you get to later models the video quality improves and so do the camera functions. and again the price. Johnsey is also pretty spot on with what he has said so all the best with it.

ThomasJ likes this.
  4. ThomasJ

ThomasJ New Member

Equipment:
    Canon50D- EF300mm F4 IS
    Just wondering about the 60 D or even later cameras, won't they too be in the same boat as the 50D with not being able to get parts seeing as how they are old too except for maybe the 90D? What are your thoughts? Maybe just better to get a mirrorless one with the adapter and take out a second mortgage, LOL?

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    for me i do like the mirrorless camers for their focus aids and live evf, at 53 years old my eyes reall appreciate the 5x live shooting with exposure simulation, canon does have a good selection of newer mirrorless cameras now right across the cost budget

but there are also some great mirror cameras out there too, i'll have to leave those to the others to pick out as i started my photography journey with mirrorless, late starter

with mirrorless you also avoid the back / front focusing issues as there is no mirror, the same sensor does the imaging and autofocus

ThomasJ likes this.
  6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    parts on ebay or repair by canon? Repairs are going to add up and outweigh the used cost pretty much right away anyway if your talking a couple hundred for the body. I think aiming less than a decade old is best but you surely do not need to get a 90d unless you find a good deal, there are also steps up the features ladder like the 7d / 6d / or 5d models ... I would shop around see what you can find used. If your going to buy new I can see the argument to go mirror-less with something like an r6.

To me the parts question is a non question, they usually do not break and repairs yourself make them un-serviceable if you mess up. So your really balancing repair vs replacement cost out of warranty.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Just a thought on the 60D, I purchased my camera off of a wedding photographer, he had two of them, so it was used regularly, his reason for selling was he purchased a camera that was more video specific. I teach a community based photography class and this is my main camera that I use, My 60D come with a extended battery grip, so it allows the use of two batteries giving extended power usage time. The 60D comes with a reticlated live-view screen, this is very handy when you need to get down low, for macro shots. There are other advantages with this screen but I shall not go into them at the momennt I have never had an issue with the camera. The down side to the camera is the extended grip adds more weight to carry arround but you can aways take ot off, no problems in doing that. The Community House, that I teach at has a 80D this camera being a later model has similar function to the 60D but a better video function, again being new it cost them a lot more. Now when it comes to mirrorless, I suggest you see what Caladina has said as se is very switched on in that area.
    Now the down side from the suggestions from any group is they are based on their experience and needs. This may not reflect on your requirements and needs. So I suggest you take your lenses that you have to a camera shop an ask to try them on the cameras they have there, any good camerta shop should allow you to do this. remember they are after a sale. This will give you an idea as to the weight and feel of a camera, remember you have to use this thing for some time to come and if it does not work with your lenses or feel comefortable in the hand or to use, your photographic enjoyment will suffer and you will not be inclined to go out and shoot with it. All the best with it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023