Teleconverter, am I asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Martin George, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Martin George

Martin George New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 50D and a bunch of other Canon Stuff
    Am I asking for trouble if I use a Canon zoom 200 - 400 mm EF lens on an EOS R50 body using the Canon RF to EF converter and a Canon 2X EF Teleconverter?
    I’m hoping for no issues. What’s your take?
    This will be for surfing photography on a good tripod.
    Thanks

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I don't think that you are asking for trouble.

I have tried my EF 400mm f5.6 plus 1.4 extender plus EF to R adapter on a RP. And it worked. Yes it was slower to focus, but it worked perfectly well. No problems at all.

Gary

3. Martin George

Martin George New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 50D and a bunch of other Canon Stuff
    Just the answer I was looking for. 2X III is on order and should have it in a few days. I went EBay used from a Canon approved reseller or at least that’s what it said.
    Thanks

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have the 2xmkIII i use at times
    they work fine with adapters etc as i use it with my efm M50 on the sigma 150-600mm

the good and the bad,
    good on still subjects, bright sunny days / bright objects like the moon/jupiter
    best used with constant aperture zooms or prime lenses

bad,
    due to the slowing of the cameras auto focus for accuracy not so good for birds in flight or fast moving subjects
    mediocre daylight might have to raise the iso alot to keep a decent shutter speed, variable aperture lenses.

i see the extenders (and speedbosters) as a bonus item, never a goto for a focal unless its at the very end of your (lens) budget
    ie the sigma 150-600mm @ 600mm is better than the 100-400mm with a x2 @800mm
    that being said i cant afford a 1200mm lens so use with the 150-600mm on occasion is the only way for me to reach 1200mm.