Thinking about selling my RP to get an R10

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by Ezed413, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Ezed413

Ezed413 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon RP
    I primarily shoot birds. I have the RF100-400mm lens which I like a lot. But I would like the faster frames per second and the birds AF that the R10 has. Plus having the crop sensor gives me more focal range turning my 400mm into a 560mm. I have gotten some decent shots with the RP, even birds in flight. Its either get the R10 or maybe get an RF extender and stick with the RP. What are your thoughts?

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I love an RP as well. I really like it. But if there was one thing that I could change about it, it would be it's AF. If things are not moving, it's fine, but if they are, it can be frustrating.

For birding, yes, I would look at a crop body. I am not sure which would be better, a R7 or R10 for what you want to do.

I have attached an extender to my 400mm f5.6 and RP, and yes it will autofocus, but it is really slow

I think that you will miss a lot of shoots and you will end up pretty frustrated.

Also the RP doesn't have a very fast frame rate. I would grab something a little faster.

Gary

3. Ezed413

Ezed413 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon RP
    Thanks Gary. My sentiments exactly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    what you need to know is whit a crop sensor you don't get more focal reach, what you get is a cropped view making the subject seem closer, its like standing in your hall way with the front door open and looking at the house across the road (full frame) then you shaut the door and look throught the window of the door(crop sensor) the distance never changed just the amount of the image you can see.

where crop sensors gain is they squeeze all of their pixels into that smaller view and this means more pixels on the subject
    i use the M50 which is a crop sensor, i use it mostly for wildlife too, my main weapon of choice is the sigma 100-400mm and i have the bigger heavier 150-600mm sigma too, mostly a tripod affair with that one though

as for extenders they work best with primes and fast aperture zooms, and as mentioned there will be a bit of slowing down on the autofocusing, one way to improve that is to use the focus limiter but might not be enough for fast birds

i find with constant aperture lenses getting to a focal naturally is better than using a x2 on a shorter lens, ie my 150-600mm is better at 600mm than the 100-400mm at 800mm,

i don't have any of the RF bodies so they may be able to pull a bit back with the better ios usage,

i shoot jpeg only, with the M50 having a smaller buffer it negates the low frame rate i get if i shoot fast burst raw, if you are happy with your exposures and you can edit your jpegs to a happy result then using jpeg may be a way to increase your frame rate, with birds in flight on mine slow burst gives the camera time to refocus when using af servo,
    hopefully some of that may be relevent or of use

happy shooting

Snegron1 likes this.
  5. Ezed413

Ezed413 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon RP
    Thanks for o
    Thanks for the info. I had a 70D and used a Sigma 100-400mm lens and got wonderful results. It had a faster frame rate. I also had a M50 which I loved. Probably should have not gotten rid of it. I am sold on the mirrorless cameras.

6. Ezed413

Ezed413 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon RP
    Well, I received the R10 a few days ago. The animal tracking with eye detection is crazy accurate. Couple that with 15 FPS makes this a great wildlife camera. I have gotten some great bird photos with the R10 and RF100-400mm lens. Sold the RP as I don't need two cameras. For me a hobbiest, it's perfect. Loving the R10.