thoughts on the new SL2

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by pcake, Jun 29, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    so the SL2 is no longer a rumor. it's coming. a couple things that seem like a step up to me are that the grip is shaped like a real grip instead of that stubby thing the SL1 has and there's an articulated screen on the back instead of a fixed screen. they've kept it very light, much lighter than the T6s, which is impressive with an articulated screen. it has wifi for those who want it, and the SL2's sensor is 24 megapixel compared to the SL1's 18. they say the processor is faster.

i was disappointed that it's still got only 9 focus points and that only the center 1 is cross type. metering sounds like it will be the same, and my SL1 hasn't shone for me in challenging lighting.

still, for the price, it seems like a lot of camera and keeps the light weight and small body with a better shape. and for a few people i know who passed on the SL1 because of the grip, it'll be perfect. i don't think that it's enough to make me upgrade from the SL1 - if i can shoot with a wrist brace, i'll probably work my way to a T6s at some point if my wrist still can't handle something heavier like the pentax KP or the 80D.

what are your thoughts on the SL2?

2. Mike -

Mike - New Member

Equipment:
    Canon, Sony, Nikon
    pcake wrote -
    "i was disappointed that it's still got only 9 focus points and that only the center 1 is cross type. metering sounds like it will be the same, and my SL1 hasn't shone for me in challenging lighting.""

p -
    Don't understand, if you are that "disappointed" move up to a body that has more focus points, easy to do..! Remember, the SL2, like the SL1...is a bottom level, SLR camera.
    Me, I mostly just the center only, anyway.
    Now on my new 5Dmk IV, I'm using a little different combinations, only because of the very liberal opportunity's of points, tham ost cameras don't offer.
    And interesting thing, I wear a 3x motorcycle glove, and have no problem in controlling the "little" SL1.

Mike

3. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    it's not so easy for me as i have wrist and shoulder issues that make the SL1 the best for me sizewise. if i can shoot with a wrist brace, i may move up to a T6s, but i haven't had a chance to rent one yet.

4. Graham01974

Graham01974 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 200D
    I've had the SL2 for about 7 months now , great camera if you travel as it's size and weight are minimal. I shoot a lot of football and this camera is ok but I find that some of the images are soft even when I swap lens over . Images at 6400 are very usable but my main gripe is softness in photos . I might just have a dodgy camera as sometimes pin point and sometimes soft . Overall great little camera for travel etc